1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tamiya flat base/flat clear

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by noble, Feb 25, 2010.

1. noble scott Scale Model Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Here is a question when shooting Tamiya flat base through an airbrush does it have to be thinned like the paint or can it be used straight from the jar, and what would you use to clean the AB afterwards hope someone can assist?
    scott
  2. beav1013 Scale Model Member

Jim
    hey noble. i use flat base with the tamiya clear and use tamiya thinner with it. I use rubbing alcohol for thinning tamiya paints through an airbrush, but for the clear coats i always use the tamiya thinner. to clean my brush after use i use the same rubbing alcohol on a paper towel to clean off excess or dried paint. i normally put the clear in first, then some flat base, then thinner to get the appropriate consistency, adding more flat base to get the flatness level i want.

hope that helps.
  3. Paul1978 Scale Model Member

Paul
    It's an interesting thread this ebcause i'm always trying to find good ways of applying finishes to my models. I have a jar of matt base and clear but haven't used them yet. I heard that a little too much flat base can cause the avrnish to be a little cloudy. I'll guess i'll find out thsi weekend :)
  4. Paul1978 Scale Model Member

Paul
    (excuse my lame spelling in my previous post - don't think all teachers are as lame as me) :)))
  5. noble scott Scale Model Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Thanks Beav, just one more question tamiya flat clear is a matt varnish yes? if so can i use just the matt varnish to apply to a kit that has been sprayed with johnsons clear to take the shine off of it and if so do i need to mix the varnish with thinner or spray it straight on, sorry for any confusion.
    scott
  6. noble scott Scale Model Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Paul mate nice to hear from you glad you are back in the world hope your well.
    take care of yourself and if it is any consolation last time i was hit by a vehicle it was a four ton truck, knocked me sqaure across a two lane road. When i woke up with two broken legs i thought i'd died ...then the pain kicked in.
    take care of yourself.
    scott
  7. tonyb6000 Scale Model Member

Tony
    Noob question. What'f' flat base?

Paul, don't worry about your spelling, it's not easy typing with a stick taped to your forehead!

Tony B
  8. stona Scale Model Member

Steve
    You can certainly apply a matt or silk varnish over a Kleared model to tone it down. I do this as a matter of course. I don't use the Tamiya stuff so I'm not sure how it sprays.
    Cheers
    Steve
  9. noble scott Scale Model Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Steve can i use the humbrol aerosol stuff to do the job, and how does it compare with the stuff you use?
    scott
  10. Richy C Scale Model Member

Richard
    Hi guys , if I can add my limited knowledge on the humbrol aerosol`s , not long ago I made a 1960`s F1 Lotus for which I used these products - maybe it was me but I found the humbrol clear gloss varnish was very heavy and thick to use and the matt varnish dryed more like a satin finnish and both had a tint of yellow when dry .

maybe it was my lack of experience, but I did not like them personaly.

Richy
  11. noble scott Scale Model Member

First Name:
    Scott
    You could be right Richy my wife uses gloss varnish for here 1/24 scale cars and it does look rather heavy and there does seem to be a tint in the satin stuff, unfortunately i've never used the matt stuff so i can't comment on it.
    scott
  12. noble scott Scale Model Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Ok i have another question pardon me for being stupid here bur flat base ...what is it how does it wok and can it be applied on it's own like a varnish?
    scott
  13. yak face Staff Member Moderator

First Name:
    tony
    hi scott, the tamiya flat base is in my experience a matting agent not a varnish. i assume its meant to be used to make a gloss paint dry with a matt finish. Ive tried mixing it with klear to get a matt varnish but with little success, either i put too much in and it dries with a white bloom or not enough and its glossy. I got fed up of trying to make it work and just use vallejo matt now, this is great stuff. I stand to be corrected about the tamiya flat base ,if someone has found a way to make it work id love to hear it ,after all ive still got a bottle left! cheers tony
  14. Richy C Scale Model Member

Richard
    Vallejo is what I`m going to use , Scott they do it in a spray can form also if that helps.

Richy
  15. noble scott Scale Model Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Nice one guys i have opted for the vallajo matt varnish have to say iam a little nervous about using it but Ron assures me it's a doddle so we'll see.
    scott
  16. spanner570 SALAD DODGER Scale Model Member

Ron
    I wouldn't quite call it a doddle Scott, but bearing in mind the bf 109 was my first use of Vallejo matt varnish I was really chuffed how easy it went on...And not a little relieved too!
    Onwards and upwards my friend..
  17. beav1013 Scale Model Member

Jim
    whatever you do... do not put the flat base on by itself. if used by itself, it comes out opaque white and chalky. it's meant as a flattening agent for gloss paints. i'm not very well versed on varnishes and all that, i know that the tamiya paints i use are all acrylic based, so i'm assuming the flat base is as well. but that's just a guess.
  18. noble scott Scale Model Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Beav cheers for the info mate i actually bought the flat base and varnish from tamiya as well as vallajo matt varnish, at this time i've opted for the vallajo will use the others on another project.
    thanks
    scott
  19. Paul1978 Scale Model Member

Paul
    Alright there

Just a question out of interest, i've seen two bottles of Vallejo matt varnish. I have this one in the pic. Is this the one everyone is talking about? I managed to get it going through the airbrush but it's rather thick.

Attached Files:

20. yak face Staff Member Moderator

First Name:
    tony
    hi paul , yes thats the stuff,but you need to thin it quite alot with water before spraying, i usually thin about 25% varnish 75% water and mist it on in thin coats ,try not to get the model too wet. cheers tony