1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vallejo Thinner HELP!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by slupanter, Feb 22, 2011.

1. slupanter

slupanter Scale Model Member

Hey I am about to explode in a red mist. I'm mixing model colour 979 germ cam dark with liquitex acrilic thinner.

When I spary it it just separates. Ive try reducing thinner but then it just spatters.

Please help its killed my 1:72 zero :-(
    Im about to cry

2. Ian M

Ian M GB+SIG Mod. Staff Member Admin

Forget the thinners. Go out in the kitchen and find the wife/girlfriend/mum's distilled water. I only ever thin Vallejo model color with Distilled water and have never had problems.
    Hope this sorts your problem Alex.

Ian M

3. Lancasterb1

Lancasterb1 Armour modeller Scale Model Member

Alex if you are unsure about how to thin, then the Model air range of which you can get most if not all the colours you require is mixed espcially for the airbrush. Failing that try a little Tamiya Acrylic Thinner, that has worked for me in the past rather than Vallejo, which seems to clog the airbrush after a few passes.

Andy

4. sprayman

sprayman Scale Model Member

Have you primed your model, water based paints need a dull primed surface to adhere (is the water splitting, like water on a car bonnet)

5. snapper41

snapper41 Scale Model Member

I use Xtracrylix thinner with vallejo paints, and it works fine.

6. slupanter

YES thats just what is like. the model is primed and sprayed in a base colour read for the top coat. I can hand paint it on but mo i add thinner it just spatters and diserpates

7. slupanter

Whats the thinner to paint mix?

8. sprayman

sprayman Scale Model Member

The liquitex thinner may be a sort of problem, if you can just mix the paint with a touch of water only and spray that on your primed model, if all is well then the liquitex is the repel problem, if not we can try and sort what else could be the cause.

9. snapper41

snapper41 Scale Model Member

I must admit I don't stick to an exact ratio; I just go for the good old 'milk' consistency

10. slupanter

What is the milk consistency? Red top? Green top? Blue top? Gold top? I never know what to thin or to think?

Sorry for late rely just been busy at work.

11. stona

stona Scale Model Member

I'd say about green top lol. Drag the paint up the side of your paint cup with a tooth pick. You want it to run back down leaving a slight coating. Too thin and it will run back like water,too thick and you'll have a gloop (technical term there) on the side of the cup.
    I'm afraid it's all a bit "rule of thumb",you'll soon work out what works for you.
    Cheers
    Steve

12. Graham_1970

Graham_1970 Scale Model Member

How much paint do you put into your cup as I only let a couple of drops then three drops of thinner and it works perfect hope this helps.

13. slupanter

I mix in a jar like the ones john sales.
    Do you mix in the cup then?
    So you say about 2:3 paint to thinner?

14. Graham_1970

Graham_1970 Scale Model Member

Put it in the cup 2:3 ratio then mix it and try it out and if need be try another small drop of thinner.

15. slupanter

food for thought. new airbrush came today so will try it out tonight or tomorrow.

Can I just where do use Super lube. I use it on the control.

16. slupanter

Sorry late reply works been mad so no time to test. I had great success with Valajo Thinner. Thanks guys for all your help.