1/48 Tamiya Beaufighter TF.Mk.X 236 Sqn

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Whilst i'm waiting to see if we can get one more member to join the Nightfighter GB i need something to keep my bench from gathering dust. So here i intend to build the 1/48 Tamiya Beaufighter kit.

Always wanted to build one of these kits and will do more of them late on especially as we had a Beaufighter airbase near us.

So here we go. Here is the box and the colour scheme in question that i intend to do.

IMG_1324.JPGIMG_1325.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Same here Ian. I've always loved this aircraft but never built one. Time to right this wrong.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Got a little bit done to this the last two days. Typical Tamiya in going together fantastically. I've missed out the seatbelts but i shall add them before it is all 'buttoned' up.
IMG_1326.JPGIMG_1327.JPGIMG_1380.JPGIMG_1381.JPG

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Great start Al, I'm looking forward to the rest of your build :thumb2:
I also like the color-scheme from the boxart ; )
Cheers, Steven

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Steven. I'm going to paint on the invasion stripes as the decals in the box are damaged (i knew when buying it). I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

D

Deleted member 5496

Great work Al. Great aircraft with a great history & record in defending
the British Isles. Lovely looking aircraft.

Two books on the Beaufighter. Both named Night Fighter, Rawnsley & Wright
(Rawnsley was the famous John Cunningham's navigator).

The other book by Bob Braham. Both books are great reads about these people
who flew in the the Beau.
Laurie

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Laurie. Actually in building this i am getting an appreciation of just how big this aircraft was. I really want to take more time over the next one i build.

D

Deleted member 5496

Cheers Laurie. Actually in building this i am getting an appreciation of just how big this aircraft was. I really want to take more time over the next one i build.
Yes it is a big bird Alan. Get the navigator with his radar in. Big sets in those days. Goy it on the shelf. But then you cannot build all at the same time.

Laurie

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Just a little progress since my last post. Primed the engines with Vallejo Gloss Black Surface Primer. Then dry brushed with Mr. Metal Color Aluminium. Think it came out ok. First time i've done it this way and i'll be doing it again.

IMG_1397.JPGIMG_1398.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
It is a nice kit Jim/Ian. Think Dave did the new tooling version (this is the older one). I am using this as a test mule for dry brushing and oil washes so it's not getting the best finishes if i'm honest. But i'll defo build another one eventually and try and do it some proper justice.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Alan
I Like the looks of that engine. Going have to try that I’ve always used a lead pencil. Maybe I need to get with the times

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Lee i had never tried it before on such a big scale. I've done it for little cockpit things but that's it. So i'm well chuffed with the way it came out.

D

Deleted member 5496

Very nice progress Alan. I have this one on the shelf.

Just not enough time in this busy life.

Laurie

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
And here it is the engine 'fitted' inside it's cowling. I am actually well impressed with this 'new' technique for me. I think the gloss black primer has given it a depth that allows the metal colour to really show up better. I'll certainly be trying it out on other builds in the future.

IMG_1400.JPG

D

Deleted member 7181

I do like the look of that engine. A technique to store in my memory banks I think :thumb2: