john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
It's actually starting to look like a helicopter now

image.jpg

I bought some Tamiya sprue cutters, if I didn't own a model shop I don't think I would have bought them because they aren't cheap, but they are fantastic, I've done very little sanding because of the flat edge I can cut close up to the part, I had the rep in yesterday and I was telling him how much I liked them, he then told me about the Feb price increase, they are going from £26.99 to £34.99, I certainly wouldn't pay that for them, but I'm glad I have them.

F

Fenlander

Oooo, that has come on a bit! Looking very good John. Always thought Tamiya tools to be expensive but there is no doubting the quality.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Oh dear, shaking a bottle of paint and I thought I'm getting wet, then looked at the curtains and they are covered in paint, I should know better and check the tops of paint bottles, quite often they come from suppliers with loose tops.

Anyway, is there a secret to brush painting? I can't get a good smooth finish, and you can see the brush strokes.
Yep , been there, done that!!! Luckily for me I model in an outside shed so the only problem was getting the paint off my face ! As for the brushing John , try a few drops of flow improver I use the windsor and newton one ,it really helps to get rid of brush strokes and stops the paint drying on the brush or in the palette as quick. cheers tony

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
So far everything has fitted together well, but the side doors just don't want to fit flush, and the front glass is the same, the centre console is a bit too high, I've had to remove it and make a few adjustments, it seems ok now.

When it comes to painting with the base colour being beige am I best with grey, white or yellow primer?

F

Fenlander

I always go grey with primer unless it is for metal or white (sounds odd I know) when I use black. If the topcoat is red or yellow, I use white.

D

Deleted member 3568

Looking good john, i must try a helicopter sometime, i do have one on the stash.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I've had a few problems with it, trying to fit the side doors and front glass, I got a bit heavy with the knife when trying to trim a bit off one of the doors, I've filled it and hopefully it won't be noticeable once I've primed it, I hope :sad:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good boss.
I would go for a grey primer as well.
Have you gone back to the hairy stick?

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Have you gone back to the hairy stick?

No, I've used one for the small bits and it's quite relaxing doing the small bits, I've masked the windows today with fluid, hopefully will get on with painting in the next couple of days.

B

Builder

Good luck with the masking. Like you said its beginning to look like a helicopter, good job John mate.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good John. White and yellow are real bu**ers to get good and smooth coverage from.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Grey it is then, not had chance to do much this week but hopefully will get the time to prime it today.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I'm still doing this, I can't believe it's been over a month since I had time to touch it, I've been working 8 day weeks, 25 hours a day.

I've primed it today, it shouldn't be a month before I get round to doing something else with it.

Untitled-1.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

Only 25 hrs a day and 8 days a week, come on get your finger out, you on holiday or what.

F

Fenlander

It's not a race, just get on with it when you can and when you feel like it:D

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good john , like yourself ive not had any spare time to model for ages , mind you thats a result of new working hours , weve been put on 11 hour shifts , the days im working i dont have time for anything when i get home and the days off im recovering or catching up with jobs round the house!! Keep at it , as graham says its not a race