1:35 LEP Up Armoured Scimitar CVR(T)

B

Boldman

Several days have gone by and I'm very pleased to say that some good progress has been made. Since a picture paints a thousand words, I will cease my inane chatter and show you this:

So we have paint and some weathering!!! The paint is the standard XF 67 Nato Green. This was then fixed with a couple of layers of Klear as a surface for the decals to fix to. I then forgot to put the decals on before starting the weathering so had to clean some of the dirt OFF to put the decals on before then partially covering them with the dirt agian... sigh

I've used a wash made up of XF-59 Desert Yellow diluted with water, plus lots of Mig pigments gulf war sand, using the Mig pigment fixer. Its been quite liberally applied to the bar armour - particularly the undersides and the front and rear hull as you can see here:

Wheels have also gone on as have the headlights and the PE shrouds. The Castoff resin set includes replacement headlamps and shrouds moulded as one, but I had the PE set with shrouds and they look the business! I've added the front mudguards from the PE, having first messed them up a bit from wear and tear and then added sand and dust. The tracks have been painted and also weathered with plenty of sand. This has then been fixed with spray matt varnish to keep it stable.

As you can see above, the registration number has been applied. I've gone with 00 GH 12 which is a vehicle with the Queens Dragoon Guards. I've got the Bison Decals British AFVs in IRAQ 2003-2005 which shows this vehicle as being in Iraq in 2003. The Queens Dragoon Guards were sent out to Afghanistan in Oct 2008 so I thought it would be a reasonable assumption that the same vehicle would be in service still and part of the deployment.

I've added the callsign to the rear of the turret stowage box. As you can see, the turret is a bit further behind - still need to add some more painted details and of course add the ever-present, penetrating sand.

Not sure why this photo is blurry, but this gives the general idea of the state of the turret.

I've added the "Danger" sign in front of the laser rangefinder door, but is then been badly overpainted with green, just as I've see in a couple of photos. The fire extinguishers haven't been fitted yet. I'm in two minds whether to fit them exposed of covered with cloth. Exposed would be easier however I can't find the resin set I got from Accurate Armour last year for my chally which came with decals for the printed text on them. Hatches are off still, the resin replacements have nice interior detail which is waiting still to be painted. Not sure what this should be, haven't got round to finishing that bit of research! I've still got the figures to paint as well, however I am very pleased with the progress and its great to see it finally coming together at last!

P

Polux

Every day that passes this model is more terrific!!! Great work mate!!

Congratulations!!

Cheers. Polux

First Name
Charles
Amazing work. I have always admired those that attempt working with those pe frames. It must have been hellished to put together.

B

Boldman

It was hellish, but its not PE - its all scratch built plastic strip!

B

Boldman

Another update...

Tracks on, mudflaps on, turret weathered and hatches attached, turret on hull and some other small things added:

Indicator lights painted too, but still missing crew, fire extinguishers, water canister, antennae, bar armour handles and bolts and stowage.

I'm thinking I might have overdone the sand in some places, particularly the front hull underside, some of the bar armour and the rear stowage box.

I've also been experimenting here with my new photo booth from Maplins. Might need slightly stronger light sources though.

The base is just a start - its some plaster of paris with a layer of Tamiya sand diorama texture paint. Needs more topology and interest for a base, but I'm working on that, as I am with the figures and the other bits and pieces.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Andrew some great work and detail in this build looking fantastic, and looking forward to the finish line now

B

Boldman

Fixed the backward track this evening and added some tiny bolts that hold the bar armour in place.

Its difficult to see the bolt in that photo, but the full size one is better shown here

I've been slowly reducing some of the sandy areas as I think I might have overdone it a little. Certainly ther ear a couple of places where the pattern of the sand is bad as it was applied with a brush so you get a couple of places - noticably on the brackets supporting the bar armour - which has "swipes" of sand texture which isn't really appropriate.

Figures and other fittings are still beign worked on, so only a small update today.

B

Boldman

I can't honestly believe I'm saying this but....

It is finished!

The last few steps have been the figures, stowage and numerous little details that I'd forgotten about such as the strap for the water cannister and the bolts for the left side bar armour. In fact it was only when I took photos of it this afternoon, thinking that I'd finished, that I realised I'd forgotten to put the bolts on that side!

So without further ado...

FV107 Scimitar, with LEP upgrades and bar armour. Queen's Dragoon Guards, Operation Herrick 2008/9

Looking back from this vantage point, it wasn't as difficult as I thought... hmm or maybe it was and I'm choosing not to remember all the dead ends and false leads I followed while building this! It has made me confident that I can do it again and my plans forsee another Scimitar but with the ECM gear added as well as bar armour and one day a Scimitar 2!!

However my next model will be something completely different... Stand by for Action!!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That, Andrew, is brilliant! You went for it big time and despite the trials and tribulations along the way, you pulled it off. Fantastic scratching of that bar armour. I think I would of died on the drawing board with that lot!!

Five stars? Not even close but five it the max, so you will just have to live with that.

So lets call it five stars with ribbons and BARS!!!

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Gobsmackingly fantastic andrew! its a credit to you , all the work youve put in on the scratchbuilt additions on this one , true modelling. As ian says 5 stars doesnt seem like enough but here they are anyway , cheers tony

P

Polux

It's an injustice to give only 5 stars!!! That great model, the scratch work is amazing!!!

And I like very much the detail of the track mold with the soil of the diorama!!

Great, great model!!

Cheers. Polux

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Andrew the amount off work put into this is just awesome well worth the 5 stars plus some ( just one thing should the end of the gun barrel be black ? )

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Fabulous piece of work there Andrew. ***** ain't enough.

Gern

C

CDW

"Attention ....

........there will be a presentation at 12.00hrs by the commanding officer of a 5* medal to Andrew for going above and beyond the call of modeling duty, anyone wishing to attend are welcome, but must be sober and dressed. .....

........that is all"

M

mobear

this is a feast for the eyes,magnificent,bravo welldone,5+2*s from me so its the magnificent 7,

mobear

B

Boldman

I can't quite believe what just happened... I came home from work, grabbed my camera to take the photos of the corrected barrel and while setting up the photos booth, it slid across the table and everything ended up on the floor. I am now going to have a stiff drink...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh Crap! have a double.

Don't panic. OK looks like the barrel is a bit bent, but the parts that have broken off appear to be just that. Broken off and not smashed to smithereens.

Pick it up and look at it tomorrow and I bet you will get it sorted in an hour.

Still I am really feeling for you mate.

Ian M

P

Polux

Ohhh Noooo!!! That's a pity!!!

Looks just a Little damaged, you can rebuild it??

All the best Andrew