1/350 U-Boot Typ VII C

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Wouter,
That is an excellent result you really get the feeling of a deep cold sea.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A cracking build, Wouter, coupled with a very nice sea.

Don't worry about the rigging. The fore and afts from the conning tower are straight forward. However, I found on this size U. Boat, the safety wires either side of the conning tower tricky, especially keeping the two wires parallel to each other.

Judging by the quality of the build so far, you will have no trouble what so ever.

Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow, that is something else. Brilliant Wouter. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Guys have said it all.Outstanding work all round. A real piece of art. Thanks for sharing

First Name
Wouter
Gentlemen, many thanks for those awesome comments :smiling2:
A cracking build, Wouter, coupled with a very nice sea.

Don't worry about the rigging. The fore and afts from the conning tower are straight forward. However, I found on this size U. Boat, the safety wires either side of the conning tower tricky, especially keeping the two wires parallel to each other.

Judging by the quality of the build so far, you will have no trouble what so ever.

Ron
Ron, thanks for the vote of confidence mate. The wires in front of the conning tower where a pain in the backside alright :D

So, the rigging has been done.
I used Uschi van der Rosten's Rig That Thing Superfine Size wire which is...ridicilously thin :surprised:. With the naked eye it is barely visible but that's how it's need to be at this scale I think. All too often you can see ship models with overly thick wiring.
Having that said, that also makes it very difficult to apply: it's not easy to keep attached between your tweezers, and even with my Tamiya goggles it was hard to see the wire during application.
But shaky hands, some perseverence, CA glue and a lot of swearing later it has been done :tongue-out2:.
I must say I'm well impressed with the Uschi wire...it glues very easily and it can be stretched very hard...amazing stuff.
The rigging isn't 100% to my satisfaction, but it isn't bad either.
The insulation balls on the wire were a different thing. Initially I wanted to brush small blobs of paint on the wire but that didn't work out, it's like the wire is the +side of a magnet and the paint a + too...doesn't adhere well. So, next try: small blobs of Micro Kristal Clear. That did the trick. When dry it becomes translucent, so I painted it using Humbroll 32 matt dark grey.
The hull received another application of Vallejo Still Water to make it wetter (another application might be needed) and this is how she looks so far. Finish line is coming close!
U-Boot Typ VII C (39).jpg
Can you see the rigging? :poop:
U-Boot Typ VII C (38).jpg
And just to show the sense of scale with an every day object
U-Boot Typ VII C (37).jpg
Cheers

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very, very nice Wouter.

I didn't realise at first just how much P.E. there is with the model. Reading through the build again, it looks like most of the plastic detail has been replaced. All good stuff... :thumb2:

Also, a bit of perseverance and swearing will overcome anything!

Love the modern Lighthouse........;)

Ron

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just amazing. Couldn't imagine an improvement. The finishes are breathtaking. BRAVO. PaulE

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Well done Wouter...I can nearly make out the rigging. Lots of action even if it's just one submarine in a seascape if you know what I mean. ;) It's competition material minus the lighthouse.:thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Wouter
Thanks Ron, and yeah, it's quite a complete kit. Haven't tried the other brands who do 1/350 u-boote but the HobbyBoss one comes packed and is well detailed. And that for just a tiny price. Although I just used an aftermarket set for the periscope and deck gun barrel. And the lighthouse...just needs a bit of weathering :smiling2:

Hi Paul, thanks a lot chap!

Hi Richard. Thanks for the compliment. Not sure if I'd join a competition without the lighthouse though :tongue-out3:

Cheers

First Name
Wouter
Well ladies and gentlemen. I can proudly say that shelfqueen number 2 has been finished. Quite the productive year I'm having :smiling2:U-Boot Typ VII C Devil on the Atlantic.jpg
I'll post the finished photos in the according subforum:

Cheers

Last edited:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Ditto. One of the best seascapes I have seen in a long time. Nice to you finishing your shelf queens.