Fixing scatter/foliage and such in place

N

Normal Norman

I'm new to modelling landscape on my model railway and I'm a bit puzzled about one aspect. I'm happily using Woodland Scenics turf, underbrush, bushes and so on also static grass and the end result's fine by my standards, but what to do about "fixing" it once it's all in place?

I understand that a lot of folks use hairspray, but when I tried it, it didn't seem to have much effect apart from making one corner of my layout smell like a tart's handbag. In a moment of madness I actually got some Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement and tried that, but no way could I get a fine enough spray for my purposes from any applicator I tried.

So what's the answer to making my lovingly-crafted undergrowth more resistant to disturbance? I've seem matte medium recommended, but I haven't met the stuff in the real world. Does that dry dry, as opposed to dry sticky?

J

Jens Andrée

I'm no expert but watered down PVA (water + isopropanol) with a drop of washing up liquid in a spray bottle or dispensed with a pipette seems to be a popular recipe out there for fixating gravel and flocking.
If it's as good applied on top of everything to secure it I don't know?

N

Normal Norman

Cheers Jens. That's exactly what I'm using at the moment, but it's the one technique I've never seen recommended elsewhere in this context! That's why I assumed there has to be a better way.

Maybe there isn't actually a better way ... ?

J

Jens Andrée

I've seen a commercial spray, like a hairspray bottle, that's used for adding static grass on top of static grass to create thicker and fuller grass but your guess is as good as mine what it contains...
It wouldn't surprise me if it's just plain and simple hairspray - without perfume!

Do a test spray with all the available hair sprays next time you're shopping to see if any of the really cheap ones are without perfume?
Perhaps they have one that's allergy friendly? That should work fine without smelling like a tarts handbag ;)

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I've built model railways in the past; for the finer Woodlands Scenic scatter I apply a layer of PVA then the scatter on top, when dry I drop diluted 50/50 PVA and water with a drop of washing up liquid. Hoover up and loose material for re-use with an old stocking over the vacuum nozzle.
With the coarser scatter material apply PVA where you want you scatter then your chosen material, a gentle press and leave to dry. Hoover up the loose stuff and reapply until you get the finish you want.
For thicker clump foliage a blob of PVA on the bottom of the clump before sticking down is enough.
The only time I ever used hairspray on scenery was for trees.
There are plenty of instructional videos on Woodland Scenics website or YT that give you expert advice.

N

Normal Norman

Thank you gentlemen. I think I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing!