1/72 Revell Flower Class Corvette

G

Graham D

Hi all,

It's back to ships after a sojourn into the world of aviation modelling, namely the 1/72 Flower Class Corvette. I bought the kit about 3 years ago, and have been collecting the Great Little Ships photo etch for this model. As I now have it all I will be starting a build. As there is a lot of PE and each one is a kit in itself, I will be posting the PE as I use it.

box.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You are going to have fun with that. You are going to solder the large parts I take it. Tried CA on mine and things didn't go to well.
I will follow this from a distance. It will great to see one finished.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Graham
My Grandfather served on HMS Godetia during WWII which was a flower class corvette so I will watch on avidly. Good luck
Steve

Reactions: JR
G

Graham D

You are going to have fun with that. You are going to solder the large parts I take it. Tried CA on mine and things didn't go to well.
I will follow this from a distance. It will great to see one finished.
Yes, I will be soldering the large parts. I have just ordered the solder and flux and reading up soldering techniques. I might even try to solder the smaller parts as well.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great, HMS Compass rose, star of one of the best British WW2 films...I’ll follow this with interest...
Cheers
Tim

First Name
Wouter
Good to see another ship appear, will be following with interest!

Cheers

G

Graham D

Here is an update. I had hoped to post a picture of the painted hull, but I've been suffering with dry tip of the airbrush, so much so, I nearly threw the airbrush away. But instead I ordered some Liquitex flow aid. The hull is 85cm long. The propeller and scuttles are the first of many PE parts to be used.

hull.jpg hull1.jpg hull2.jpg hull3.jpg rudder and prop.jpg scuttles.jpg

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've had this in my stash for years, I can't think of a place to display it! I'll follow this with interest!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I see that Revell have rereleased this in their 'technik' range.Same plastic, but it has an electronics package with loads of lights, and rotating radar scanner - at an eyewatering cost of £179!!!!!!! No idea which market this is aimed at....................
Dave

Reactions: JR
G

Graham D

I see that Revell have rereleased this in their 'technik' range.Same plastic, but it has an electronics package with loads of lights, and rotating radar scanner - at an eyewatering cost of £179!!!!!!! No idea which market this is aimed at....................
Dave
I noticed that as well. I agree it is very expensive.

G

Graham D

Here is an update. The white I used to paint the hull was a pain to spray as it kept blocking up the nozzle of my airbrush, the other colours used were OK, so I ended up hand painting the white.
Painted hull.jpg Painted hull1.jpg Painted hull.jpg Painted hull1.jpg Painted hull2.jpg

The next set of PE. This is the deck an fitting set. There are a lot of white metal parts to this as well the deck.
IMG_20180520_152648801.jpg IMG_20180520_152710294.jpg IMG_20180520_152743903.jpg IMG_20180520_152752854.jpg IMG_20180520_153127889_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20180520_153135608_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20180520_153158188_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Graham,
white paints are always a pig to spray. if you thin it too much, then it won't cover, neat, and I find it clogs the nozzle very quickly - something to do with the chalky composition. I make a concoction of acrylic white, satin varnish, and retarder + water, and this is shaken for 5 minutes, and only applied 1/2 airbrush cup at a time, before cleaning, and another 1/2 cup - it takes longer, but it doesn't choke the nozzle!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Graham
Sorry to be a bit late in for this. These large ships are a lot of work but build into stunning models. I saw a completed one at Telford last year. Looks as if you are off to a good start. I shall be very interested in how you get on soldering the etch.
Jim

G

Graham D

Great update Graham. Any issues with the hull join?
Yes, there is a lot of filler in the joint between the two parts of each side. You must get this straight otherwise when you put the two halves of the hull together, you end up with gaps at the bottom of the hull.

G

Graham D

Hi Graham
Sorry to be a bit late in for this. These large ships are a lot of work but build into stunning models. I saw a completed one at Telford last year. Looks as if you are off to a good start. I shall be very interested in how you get on soldering the etch.
Jim
I have done a bit of soldering already. I broke a piece of brass off, and had to solder it back on. I had to buy a temperature controlled soldering iron as the large bits of brass took the heat from the soldering iron, so it never got hot enough to melt the solder.

G

Graham D

My current progress hasn't been that fast, and the temperature is a bit too high to airbrush acrylics, so I have been building PE parts. Here are bits that will fit on the fo'c'sle. There are other bits, but they are white metal casting and do not need to be built.

Ist picture I was practising with a macro lens which shows my rubbish soldering. The second is using my phone and the third is a cable real taken with the macro lens
Hatch.jpgHatch1.jpgCable Reel.jpg

PE ready to be primed.
deck-bits.jpgdeck-bits1.jpgdeck-bits2.jpgdeck-bits3.jpgdeck-bits4.jpgdeck-bits5.jpg