1/87 Four Deuce Chem. mortar section

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
As always your attention to detail at this scale is impressive. Like Tim I enjoy the history side of your threads.
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thank you gentlemen.
Allen, at the shop, the kids call me Neptune & some of the older guys Jerry, for Jerry Garcia. One guy calls me Pawlie for Paulie walnuts from 'The Sopranos', because of my accent and sometimes profane comments. The boss calls me Mr. Eberle. I :smiling: wonder what the customers think?
The scope is what attracted me to this scale. The ability to model units in a small space.
These were just pics of a dry fit, possible composition, so no figs. Having no experience in how to set up a mortar firing position, I was hoping for some advise, as Google images were of singular tubes. My reading would suggest setting up aiming stakes first, so my thought was some figs unloading/sorting ammo & some setting up stakes. Illum. rounds were white & HE was OD, but I can't find colors for WP and other smoke.
PaulE

Last edited:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Is this better? The Engineers were attached to another Division & had to redeploy.
Thought the little tents would be for ammo & they would sort/stack ready rounds nearer the tubes by type. Thus the need for color ID.
Can anybody help w/aiming stakes?
4.2 trial compo test fit.JPG
C&Cs welcomed. PaulE

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Can anybody help w/aiming stakes?
In what way do you need help with them? Painting? I think I’d just take some plastic rod, wrap masking tape around it, and paint it red. Though this may be a bit small scale for that method, I suppose.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Placement in relation to the tubes & each other. One behind-one in front or two in front-two behind or just two in front.
I assumed red/white stripes & 3 to 4' in length. PaulE

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Found a couple articles/accounts of how to set up the stakes. Will go w/ two out front for each tube. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul.
Why not, looks a perfect set up to use.
John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I understand where you are going with this now. Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing the sighting sticks

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Well, when I requested AT&T to tighten the string, they overdid and busted it-no DSL, no landline till today.
Some progress pics here. Still trying to come up w/enough fig poses to flesh out crews. These guys are setting up aiming stakes.
test plan view.JPG
The vision was some setting up, some unloading ammo, & some filling sandbags to stabilize tubes.
test plan elevation.JPG
A close up of stakes.
test plan aiming stakes close-up.JPG
I'll move this to Dios under construction. C&Cs welcomed. PaulE