A-10 by Tamiya, First wingy thing project

First Name
Alex
I love the A10. I built the Italeri one recently. My only advice and it's probably the same with the Tamiya kit is to make sure you put a decent amount of weight in the nose before you glue the fuselage, otherwise the tail will end up resting on the floor. I used two 5p's and some blue tack for mine.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great work on the seat. it sort of gives us an idea what we can expect for the rest of the build. Confession - I actually typed "seats" then remembered it's an A10..

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks gents. Much appreciated.
Richard I appreciate your tips. Those models by Hayashi are amazing if not somewhat discouraging.

John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John...sorry if Hayashi's stuff is discouraging...I thought it inspire what with your oil painting skills. Your German bi-plane is a good testament.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi John. Great to see you posting again. I hope you had a lovely summer. Wasn't expecting you to come back with a plane! Maybe you will be able to sculpt the pilot!:smiling3:

Off to a terrific start with the seat. I will sit quietly in the back and watch on avidly. Good luck my friend

Reactions: JR

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great start with the seat John, knowing your usual work, you'll have no trouble tackling this one.:thumb2:

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks again guys. I'm not overly happy with my little seat but maybe it will look OK when I get the cockpit closed up. Still waiting for some PE stuff to come so I have been making a start on the sticky out bits that go on. There seems to be an awful lot of these things since I have only made half of them so far. I guess it's like the golf rule of having 14 clubs in your bag. You never really know what you are going to need.!

engines and payload.jpg

John

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Still waiting for PE. Must be the problems of re-negotiating NAFTA holding it up.
So moved along with the two engines. Now I am pretty sure that almost none of this will be visible but it kept me busy for a few hours.

engines.jpg

Painted with Alclad and AK Real Metals and finally a pinch of AK Steel pigment on the fan blades.

John

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good John.
Iiked Steve's post of you doing your own pilot ! :smiling: ......., And why not I say .:smiling2:

John .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, something about wingy things that gets me frustrated at times are the interior stuff that don't get seen after closing up. The only remedy is to know that it's done. The turbofans look good with that little highlight.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Metal finish has worked well. Hopefully the PE arrives soon

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
PE shouldn't be a problem for you John but take good precaution when attaching them to clear parts. I would choose white glue most of the time but I hear that cyno acrelate doesn't craze clear parts if they have been soaked in Future. I would test it first if I were you. Perhaps the PE guys can advise.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Dave S4

I use superglue. Applied very sparingly and put into place very carefully.
So far, no disasters.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for the tips guys. I was planning to use Testors Clear Parts cement. But I will do some trials.I have began to remind myself why I hate PE, but I made a start anyway. Got a few bits to stick in approximately the right places.

First the cockpit.

cockpit 1.jpg

For some reason the kit does not supply a roof for the undercarriage bay in the fuselage so the PE set came to the rescue.

Wheel well.jpg

Am I having fun yet?

John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, I'm not a PE guy either unless it's necessary. So far looking good just watch out for the overhang of the PE on both sides of the side instrument consoles that might fowl up fit to the fuselage. Can't remember how tight the fitting of the cockpit tub was but just be cautious.

The undercarriage bay roof might be part of the cockpit floor I think. Wow...I don't remember my plastic being that colour.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It's not landed the bin , so must be going well ! PE love it and hate it .
John