Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Those machine guns are the business!

If you want some thing just a bit different to all the red barrons, (which but the way was not bright red but a streaky dark red/red-brown sort of thing). Have a look at these

Fokker DR-1 Triplane Walkaround

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian

Thanks for the link. I'm actually going to do Manfred VonRichtofen's machine. The upper wing is red, as is the cowl, the rest of the airframe is the usual green streaked Fokker finish.

Cheers

P

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great looking guns. Even the standard guns look good.

C

CDW

Looking good Paul, the PE extras look more impressive each time i see them.

R

rogue-one

hi there paul. these tri planes look great. quite fancy doing one of these myself. very nice detailed start to your build, wouldn't expect anything less :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Remember this!

After quite a long break I'm back building these two little gems

The past 2 evenings have been spent removing resin parts, cleaning up sink marks, a bit of flash and altering parts to more accurately depict the iconic Fokker Dr 1. It's slow progress here but will speed up once the few accuracy issues are sorted. If you like, I'm in the part of the build that is necessary but not terribly exciting. However I think time spent here will vastly improve the look of the finished thing.

Here's a few shots:

The first pic is a general view of the parts.

These are the alts to the upper deck. I've finessed the area for the fuel gauge, which is missing from the Roden kit and will need to be scratch built later. I've also added the aperture for the oil filling cap (again missing from the Roden kit) but have yet to add the blast shields on the deck, these are present on the resin part.

These are the alts to the horizontal stabiliser. Roden have depicted this part with a depression in the centre of the wing which isn't present on the real thing. I filled all the parts whilst I had the putty out although I'll only be using the straight sided parts. The detail will be replaced later on with photoetch parts.

This is the reshaped rudder. The Roden rudder is a bit misshapen especially at the leading edge. I extended this part with plastic card and reshaped using profile references.

The Roden engine cowling doesn't depict the usual 2 piece fabrication. To depict this for my Manfred Von Richthoven and Ernst Üdet machines I used the photoetch from the 'Part' set and built up the area above it with Mr Surfacer. This was then sanded back carefully to give the stepped appearance you can see.

Lastly I built the resin engine simply because I don't want any spare parts left and in this way the next build will be quicker.

That's it for now but I've got to say that I'm really into these little planes, the kits are well worth a look.

Cheers

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Yes i do remember these 2 paul , great to see them back on again. The details youve added /scratched look brilliant , i'll be using this thread as reference when i get round to my 1/72 Revell kit! cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Tony/Ian

Tony: In 1/32 I'm surprised at how small these little fighters are, in 1/72 they must be tiny - less than 10cm long?

I have to admit that I'm no Dr 1 expert but I've learned an awful lot since starting this project and I'm glad to pass it on if I can. I just hope the builds live up to expectation!

Back with an update soon.

Cheers

P

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi paul , yes its a tiny little thing in 1/72 , about 3" long! But saying that , its the new tool version by Revell and the detail and finesse is superb , the MG's have to be seen to be believed! There are 2 colour schemes , the ubiquitous (ooh, big word!) Manfred von Richthofen Red one or his kid brother Lothar ,with the tail end painted yellow and blue undersides with streaky green front. One thing ive found in my bit of research so far is the tremendous variation and variety of colour schemes found on this aircraft , shame that most makers opt for the usual suspect red. cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Tony

You're right about the variety of schemes, that's what's really attracted me to this build in the first place, a chance to get away from olive drab (the Fokker streaky green finish is at least a bit more interesting!)

The most visually striking of this pair will probably be the Udet machine. It has the usual Fokker finish - green streaky paint over doped canvas but the back end and wing are bold black and white stripes. My M VonR machine won't be totally red, I'm portraying Dr.1 477/17 which is the usual Fokker finish with red upper wing, tail plane, cowl, wheels and skids and a white rudder. I know this machine has been done lots of times but I'm keen to put figures with both these machines and I've seen a great one of M VonR (there's actually a rather nice one of his brother too!)

What would be really interesting, and possible more practical in 1/72, is to model a series of aircraft from the flying circus, you'd certainly get a blaze of colour to the display cabinet!

I think, with a splash of red and the black and white stripes, the models should look interesting enough. Perhaps when I build my next WW1 subjects (possibly an Albatros) I'll model a blue or partially blue machine for some variety. Maybe if I get the Fokker D VII I'll do the 4 colour lozenge scheme which is really striking.

Anyhoo, should have a bit of an update at the weekend. I'm coming to realise that you can go detail crazy on these WW1 kite builds and it's slow but rewarding progress.

Cheers

P

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi guys

This build hasn't been forgotten. Had a few tough weeks recently and this is taking a back seat for the mo.

Cheers

P

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Don't worry plenty of time to build just get yourself sorted first Paul

I'm still watching and waiting

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Yes , get yourself sorted paul , the forum will still be here , all the best tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers lads, had a very anxious couple of weeks as both my mum and my brother have been in hospital. I'm happy to say though that it looks as if they're both getting better. Hopefully November will be a better month.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Cheers lads, had a very anxious couple of weeks as both my mum and my brother have been in hospital. I'm happy to say though that it looks as if they're both getting better. Hopefully November will be a better month.
Great news Paul, glad to hear that things are looking up mate.

Si:smiling3:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A really nice start Paul loving the engine detail.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great to hear theyre both on the mend paul , cheers tony