A problem of scale - falling at the first hurdle

S

Snow

Hey everyone, I'm Snow. :smiling3:

I'm preparing for my first build, a model of a rollercoaster station from its blueprints, using Evergreen plastic strips. The blueprint is drawn as 1/4" = 1 foot. I was hoping to use this scale for the model too as it would make it easy for me to get all the dimensions and proportions right. The real station was 96 feet long; the blueprint is 2 feet long. Almost the whole station was built of 8x6 and 2x6 planks.

The problem I have is I don't understand the following table:

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/conversions.htm

If you go to the 0.25" row and then follow along to the O scale (1:48) it says "1 1/4". Is that "1 1/4" in centimetres or..? Basically, how can I work out the correct equivalents of plastic for a 2"x 4" and 8" x 6" plank of wood? Sorry for the noobish question but I can't find the answer anywhere on the net and the staff at the hobby shop were useless. :sad:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There's no such thing as a silly question, no need to apologise! I'll try to explain this in a way that means you won't need any tables, and I haven't even looked at the one in your post. You may need a calculator unless you are particularly good at mental arithmetic :smiling3:

Well, you are on the right track as you are in 1/48 scale, one of the most popular scale model scales.
You already saw that the scale 1/4" equals 1' or 12" at 1:1. Divide 12 by 48 and you get 1/4.
Similarly divide 1" by 48 and you get 0.021" (to three decimal places) as your scale inch.

To find the size of a 2" x 4" plank you simply divide the inches by 48. In scale this plank would be o.042" x 0.084" (1.06 mm x 2.12 mm)

Same for the 8" x 6" plank. In scale this comes out as 0.167" x 0.125" (4.24 mm x 3.18 mm)

Good luck with your model, it sounds both an interesting and ambitious project!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Okay, I've had a quick look at the conversion table to which you posted the link.

scale.jpg

In the red box (scale inches) under the 1:48 scale is your 'real world inch. In the orange box is this inch in 1:48 scale.
So 1" at 1:48 equals 0.02". (I gave you 0.021 to three decimal places)
Hope this helps
Steve

A

Awins

Okay, I've had a quick look at the conversion table to which you posted the link.

View attachment 282893

In the red box (scale inches) under the 1:48 scale is your 'real world inch. In the orange box is this inch in 1:48 scale.
So 1" at 1:48 equals 0.02". (I gave you 0.021 to three decimal places)
Hope this helps
Steve
An excellent description there Steve.

A

Awins

Hey everyone, I'm Snow. :smiling3:

I'm preparing for my first build, a model of a rollercoaster station from its blueprints, using Evergreen plastic strips. The blueprint is drawn as 1/4" = 1 foot. I was hoping to use this scale for the model too as it would make it easy for me to get all the dimensions and proportions right. The real station was 96 feet long; the blueprint is 2 feet long. Almost the whole station was built of 8x6 and 2x6 planks.

The problem I have is I don't understand the following table:

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/conversions.htm

If you go to the 0.25" row and then follow along to the O scale (1:48) it says "1 1/4". Is that "1 1/4" in centimetres or..? Basically, how can I work out the correct equivalents of plastic for a 2"x 4" and 8" x 6" plank of wood? Sorry for the noobish question but I can't find the answer anywhere on the net and the staff at the hobby shop were useless. :sad:
Steve has explained scale very well.
Post some pictures of this build it sounds an amazing project.
All the bedt Alan

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

some great info from Steve. if I were you mate, invest in a vernier calliper and a modelling guillotine to chop the styrene. These tools are a must if you are going to be working with scaling down stuff and using evergreen and scratch building.
Best of luck
John

S

Snow

Thanks, everyone. I'm sorry I've been so long in replying - other things got in the way and stalled the project.

It looks like either I'll have to order some custom cuts or choose a different scale. Evergreen sell 6x8 strips in 1:48 scale but not 8x6 or 2x6, which boggles my mind a bit.

https://evergreenscalemodels.com/collections/14-35cm-opaque-white-polystyrene-o-scale-strips

Before I do any ordering, though...is a 6x8 strip equivalent to an 8x6 strip rotated 90 degrees? Not sure if that assumption is walking into a trap or a neat way around the problem. The 8x6s are vertical planks supporting the roof of the station, if that helps.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It might be worthwhile looking at other styrene manufacturers. Their range of available sizes may be different from Evergreen. There are two that I know of. Slater's and a company called Dorspring.

I can't see why rotating a strip should make any difference. They're simple rectangular shapes with no special features.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Snow,
There is also plastruct that supply styrene in various shapes and sizes. Good luck with the project, would love to see some progress pictures.
Si

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Me too Snow.
Seems a massive undertaking .
In respect to cutting I bought a NWSL Chopper direct from the makers in the States. Paid the customs duty along with the postage . Best thing I did the cheap ones are a complete waste of money. Building something as large as this tecout lay will save you in the long run .
You may want to look at the options they off,as some of your sections will be quite long,xand the Std mk 2 might be too small .
Have a look at their site
http://www.nwsl.com/nwsl-online-catalog.html.
Well worth a look
John

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
if you download the free hobby color convertor app to your phone as well as having an excellent colour chart it has a scale converter simply type in the size you know and select the size you want.

Scottie

Reactions: JR