A Reat Good Slice Owa T' Yorkshire Dales

M

-Matt-

Hello all!
This is the thread I am using for the diorama base of my Land Rover thread:
http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/1-35-revell-series-3-landy-farmtastic.25932/

I'll be moving most of the work here as it's all going to be diorama based now, I'll probably not update the car thread.
What I've got so far, is a rough idea, some MDF and some plywood, and some small hills made out of that. Baseboard is 250mm X 300mm

Start.jpg
These aren't biscuits in this following image, they're old coasters. I really am just cobbling it together to make a basic base up. The white panel is foamboard as there'll be a puddle there and I'll need to dig abit.
Coasters.jpg

So here I've put another bit of ply on top and chaindrilled around where the puddle will be. The white foamy stuff further back is packaging foam that I've used to pad out some of the sharper edges.
BeforeMache.jpg

Then naturally I've just papier mache'd the whole lot, with some kitchen roll on top to soften things out. This is not the final layer and there will be a bit of mod rock plaster of paris stuff on top in places.
Photo artificially altered to try and show it, the white was really washed out.
PaperMache.jpg
Thanks for looking :smiling3:
-Matt-

M

-Matt-

Me again :D
This weeks update includes:

Sanding down a spade that came with the Land Rover, it had straps molded into it to attach to the side of it so I've removed those.
SandySpade.jpg

Some painting of it, and the accompanying pick
SpadeandPick.jpg
Landy got a dirty wash
LRDirty.jpg
I've stuck a load of thyme to a block of MDF in the hopes that building it up in layers may give it a hay bale look. Only thyme will tell with this...HayBalestart.jpg

And mod-rocked and plastered all over the base
PlasteredBase.jpg
Edited again for exposure ^

-Matt-

M

-Matt-

This weeks update includes some fiddly scratch building and a bit of paint.

The baseboard got a covering of some textured green paint, and then some cheap acrylics for a muddy base.
BrownPaintOverview.jpg
CloserBrownPaint.jpg

Still very rough.

I then started on a metal bucket to sit in the back. I had attempted to make this out of plastic but I couldn't get it to work, so out with a piece of aluminium and taken down to about 10mm dia
BucketNotYet.jpg

Shoulder made at 8mm dia, taken down to 6mm tapering over 8mm
BucketExternalTaper.jpg
Internal taper:
BucketInternalBoring.jpg
Lip turned down and parted off
BucketToolpost.jpg
Added a handle:
BucketCloseUp.jpg

And finally sat in the bed with a few other things, and some sample grass. Base needs much more work yet
TestShotFullBed.jpg

Thank you for looking :smiling3:

-Matt-

D

Deleted member 3568

That looks awesome, and sorry it's a bit late but welcome to the gang

M

-Matt-

Ken we've spoken much before, mainly about the wooden plinth that hasn't yet materialised haha, but thanks :D

D

Deleted member 3568

Oh of course, she's still being built but the progress so sloooooow (not enough to post progress shots but I still want something better than the rubbish stand that comes with her.

M

-Matt-

Well I've got that new lathe now that I've made the bucket on, so I should be able to turn you some nice brass pieces that'll look lovely and smart with your boat :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
so sorry I have not seen this Matt,great work so far,looking real good,;)
that bucket is awesome,:D,I,m always looking for them,and that is just cool,lovely work,

M

-Matt-

Thank you all for your kind words :smiling3:
Bit slower this week more to do, and am in the Lake District for Christmas (will pick up some good stones to make moulds from) so more than likely a pictoral update closer to the new year :smiling3:

that bucket is awesome,:D,I,m always looking for them,and that is just cool

I'd make you up a few but I'm not sure how feasible it would be with time to make versus cost and safely sending!

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
yes,yes I do see your point,to send what you could,do is place them in some polystyrene,
just make a hole for them to sit,tightly in,:rolleyes: and keep it as a small package, then its around
the 3 pound make I,think,;)

M

-Matt-

Little bit of an update.
Still been doing bits on it, been away over Christmas and been busy at work.

I got some grass tufts from eBay.
GrassBefore.jpg
But I ordered dry/autumn grass.
I've sprayed these up with some green food colouring. My logic being that paint may clog up the blades of grass and look rubbish.
It's not too bad:
GrassAfter.jpg

Oh I put some latex on some rocks to start making some moulds. Not sure if I'll use them yet.
LatexRocks.jpg

And I've started making up a section of dry stone wall out of slate that I collected from a spoilheap of a slate mine in the Lake District. I'll be making a section and and making a latex mould of it.
RocksFirstLayer.jpg

-Matt-

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good and always very time consuming to do, ;)

M

-Matt-

Look nearly a month later. I've been compiling pictures of what I've been upto.

I put down some ballast over the dirt track, and I've also got some 6 and 10mm static grass to make the board look much better,
BuffBallastTrack.jpg

Then sprinkled baking powder over it for a finer grade,
BicarbTrack.jpg
And then airbrushed gradients over it. Might give it another colouring yet.
AirbrushedTrack.jpg
I scrapped the idea of the drystone wall and instead made a partial wall with a block of foam, the stones and lots of hot glue.
WallOverview.jpg
Close up;
WallBuckClose.jpg

I made a latex mold of the wall section (no pics) and each casting will give me half a wall, two castings giving me a front and a back so hopefully after a week or so I should have enough to build a complete wall and start working out how to fit it all together.

-Matt-

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real nice work,Matt,do real like,your landscaping,the grass looks very good,so well done with that one,
nice work also on the stone wall,all looking real good,liking what I,m seeing,;)

M

-Matt-

Apparently over a month has passed. Oops.
Been quite busy, and a little bit ill :/

Anyway, just one pic because I've been meaning to get on with this.

Cast lots of wall sections and I've since flattened the backs and squared off the bases.
Next to do is to pair them up and stick them together, will probably seperate some down the centre and mix them up a bit to give some variation.

:smiling3:
WallSections.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
glad to hear your feeling some what better,;)
do like the looks of the stone wall,looking good,