A Summer Schwimm (Tamiya 1/48 Schwimmwagen)

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Decided to give the 57-2 gun system a break ( http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/steves-zsu-57-2.27603/page-3#post-355832 ), all those bits were making me go mad, so got out a recent find, Tamiya’s 1/48 Schwimmwagen. Very nice evening so set up outside with a nice pint of Rekordelig cider, not many parts to this one, so with cutters, tweezers, glue, knife, sanding sticks and galsses on got to work;

IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0020.JPG

An hour or so later and got to this point;

IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0033.JPG IMG_0034.JPG IMG_0035.JPG

The hardest bit was the canvas cover and the supports, because I am build this so I can remove the top to get inside once sprayed, I assumed that the canvas would fit flush on the body, glad I dry fitted the top to the bottom as its evident it rests on the rear seats, near disaster avoided;

IMG_0027.JPG

Only a few bits to go on and then will be ready for the spray shop and then some weathering. Got a 1/48 scale figure coming from CMK to set it all in a little vignette I have in mind, entitled “damm that handbrake” , but that will be later. back to the monster gun on Monday

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
This is looking Fab Steve. I've seen this many times before and always thought it would look nice in a dio fording a river etc
I'll be watching this one for ideas
Nice clean build and lovely pics too

Regards

Roebrt

P

Polux

I never build a 1/48 model, almost I don't remember it,.....and I'm really wishing to do it a go!
This one could be a good candidate, nice choice ;)

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I never build a 1/48 model, almost I don't remember it,.....and I'm really wishing to do it a go!
This one could be a good candidate, nice choice ;)

These Tamiya kits in 1/48th scale are awesome. High levels of detail, relatively easy construction and typical Tamiya shake and bake results. Well recommend

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great start Steve. I've just completed the Frog 1/48 Schwimmwagen in the Cosford under a fiver GB.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start to this wee one,Steve,I do have one as well,
dose look good and nice detail,;)

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
All finished, dry fitted top to base and very good fit, split along the weld line. Attached a couple of painting handles ,
The highlighter marks on the jars as so I can see straight off they are pre thinned (now) and ready to airbrush.

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Steve,will be waiting on color,;)

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Got some paint on it tonight , first a light gray base coat, followed by NATO black into the crevices and around the lower hull and the insides

IMG_0051.JPG IMG_0052.JPG

Them the first coat of German grey misted on and with the airbrush pressure lowered started to add highlights to the higher points and panels

IMG_0055.JPG IMG_0056.JPG IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0064.JPG

Wheels received the same treatment.

IMG_0066.JPG

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Painted the 'detail' bits last night, the wooden boards, oar, rusty exhaust and the canvas cover. Highlighted with good old dry brushing and dark wash into the recesses, also started work on the shovel. Chipping, dusting up plus some light mud next, followed by some foliage for camouflage.

IMG_0081.JPG IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0083.JPG IMG_0084.JPG IMG_0085.JPG IMG_0086.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real nice work,Steve,liking the color of the oar, rusty exhaust well done,
over all with this one,;)