Academy F15 RA'AM

M

Mike Lynn

HI.

So I've been hording some models for some time and picking up some bargains over the years and putting them aside for a rainy day ( or when I actually could get some time to do something about it)

I posted earlier about the Super cub I made over a few months but didn't find the forum until after I'd pretty much completed it on my own, and without much background work on how, what where and when etc.etc.

But now I think I'll see about joining in the action and posting a gradual progress on the model for the first time, and as a newbie

I'm nowhere near a craftsman ( ask the wife about my decorating skills ) if the end result is pretty good, ill be pleased, but in the end for me its the process and doing all the work to get to the result is the enjoyable part, and it seems it'll be a learning exercise for me on the way.

Anyway opening the box the first thing I saw inside was the receipt that I'd paid back in 2009 ( £9.99 ); well that made me chuckle, in addition where about 4 separate bags of parts and by the looks of it a lot of time needed in doing a good job.

I've been keeping my eye out for any airbrush equipment that I could pick up cheap, mainly I was after a compressor, I've got a cheapo airbrush and was attempting to use it on a spare tyre, but found that didn't really fit what I wanted, lucky enough after about 3 or 4 weeks up popped a set of 2 airbrushes and a compressor for £25, plus plenty of jars.

I now have compressor, newish reasonable airbrushes and have to get some time to practice what it can do.

In the mean time I'd started on some basic brush work on the model and started on the tyres and cockpit, and have found that the paint wasn't really covering properly, so maybe a prime might be needed to make sure the paint holds better on the parts. maybe a wash of the parts might be an idea ( I've not really bothered before, and rightly or wrongly I've decided to get some airbrush primer to play with ) I was also contemplating some of those eduardo extras for the cockpit (maybe but I've never been down that route before )

anyway I seem to be waffling,,

first pics to follow shortly and then ill try and keep the progress going..

wish me luck.

M

Mike Lynn

Pics so far..early days

Attachments

• IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 7

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well a 1:48 F15 is going to be a big old beast. So, lots of practice with your airbrush then. Academy are normally decent kits so that should help a bit.

M

Mike Lynn

Well been playing in the spare time with getting a base primer on the main parts, and getting used to the airbrush and compressor, but did come up against this issue, where some parts didn't seem to like the primer.. is this a classic example of not washing or cleaning before painting?

Attachments

• IMG_1782.JPG
    IMG_1782.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 4