Acrylic varnish

A

Awins

I've tried a couple of different flat acrylic varnishes and was just wondering which products you use and why you prefer them.

I would of started a poll but couldn't work out how to do it.

Cheers guys

Last edited:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
My preference was for the Tamiya Matt varnish in a spray can, because I never had any problems with it, no white patches at all.  But I cannot find a supplier locally.

I tried the Humbrol Clear Matt through the airbrush as the Gloss version works well, but I have never managed to use it successfully.

I am now using the Winsor & Newton Professional Matt Varnish in a spray can and I am really happy with it.

For small patches with a brush I use the Vallejo Matt varnish.

D

dubster72

Humbrol Matt Coat all day long! I've never had a problem with it in 8 years. The key to success with any matting product is a lot of mixing. Mix, mix & mix it some more! 

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Gunze flat matte varnish sprayed with an airbrush.

Thinned with Mr color thinner

Have never gone wrong with it

Last edited:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
humbrol matt acrylic in a rattle can, makes the job so much easier

D

Doug Hughes

After a nasty experience with the Vallejo developing white flecks, I now use Winsor and Newton Galeria Matt. Thin in down 2 parts varnish to 1 of water and it produces a beautiful matt finish with a really thin coat.

At this rate you'll have a recommendation for every product on the market and you'll be right back where you started!

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

I had a horrible time spraying the Vallejo flat and haven't had the courage to try it again.

I just used Model Master Acryl Flat and it sprayed like a champ right out of the bottle... no thinning necessary, and a nice flat coat.

S

Stevekir

I also had trouble with Vallejo matt - white spots all over, despite vigorous shaking. I have turned to Tamiya mat in a spray can. It works. The solvent/cleaner is Cellulose Thinners.

G

GazB

I agree with John about Alclad Aqua Gloss - it's the best gloss coat I have ever used.

For a matt coat I use Winsor and Newton Galeria Matt. - which I also really like.

I have had white speck problems with both Humbrol and Vallejo matt in the past - and I don't like using a spray can because I find I end up with too thick a layer on.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am another who uses Alclad Aqua Gloss (though I have a bottle of the new AKI Gauzy gloss coat to try as well).  For matt I too had some problems with white flecs on Vallejo Matt however I have not had problems after stopping tearing off strips of kitchen roll after matting a surface!!  You get very miniscule airborne particles when doing that. 

More recently though I have changed to the AKI Ultra Matt and find it superb.

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use Vallejo matt mixed about 1:2 with Klear for finishing most of my aircraft. It gives just about the right amount of satin/gloss to the finish, which I do not want to be dead flat.

I've never had any problem with white flecks, maybe I'm just lucky :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

M

Mark P

I've tried a couple of different flat acrylic varnishes and was just wondering which products you use and why you prefer them.

I would of started a poll but couldn't work out how to do it.

Cheers guys

I just use Halfords Alan :smiling3:

J

John Rixon

Well, I can happily report that Mig Matt Acrylic varnish (A.MIG-089) works superbly, straight out of the bottle. It has a ball bearing in to ensure good mixing, and it slips though the airbrush without any dramas whatsoever. Even better, the final result is a clear, fully matt finish. Shouldn't be hard, should it? ;)