For all the people out there please HELP :-)

L

Levi van den Berg

Hi I got the 1:350 USS Enterprise refit from Star trek and the thing is huge (just look it up for fun)
And I am trying to decide what brand paint I should use.
and acrylic or enamel I was going to go with acrylic because it doesn't yellow and the hole ship is white so...
So I will use a primer as the base white to spare money. But I need advice on what primer, base and clear coat for under and over there decals

I appreciate any tips because ik desperate and also keep in mind that Tamiya paint is expensive in the Netherlands but who knows

And how to remove vallejo primer that I tried because it looked ok but when I sprayed over it it became let me say a mess

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Levi. :smiling3:

For primer on something that large I would probably use an aerosol primer from a car parts retailer. In the UK we have Halfords, I guess check whatever you have in the Netherlands. Potentially you could use car paint for the top coat and varnish, just remember to keep the coats thin. If you are looking to airbrush, I like to use the Winsor & Newton Galeria varnishes, and personally use Tamiya or Mission Model paints. Again, it's probably worth checking what you can get locally.

To remove teh Vallejo paint I would probably try IPA (isopropyl alcohol), it tends to remove most types of acrylic and won't harm the model.

L

Levi van den Berg

Yeah I want to go with Tamiya so bad but it costs 10 euro here that is 8.80 pounds. And I would need a LOT

But I will go and check the car shops this week

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I tend to spray Tamiya mixed 50/50 with X-20A, so you are getting 20ml from a 10ml pot. Saying that, you would probably need a few coats.

Maybe you should have started with a shuttlecraft. :tears-of-joy:

Edited to add: Would it work out cheaper (even with shipping) to get it sent over from the UK? Maybe drop John on here a PM, he runs https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/ and this forum.

L

Levi van den Berg

I tend to spray Tamiya mixed 50/50 with X-20A, so you are getting 20ml from a 10ml pot. Saying that, you would probably need a few coats.

Maybe you should have started with a shuttlecraft. :tears-of-joy:

Edited to add: Would it work out cheaper (even with shipping) to get it sent over from the UK? Maybe drop John on here a PM, he runs https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/ and this forum.
The messy primer is on the stand

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hi I got the 1:350 USS Enterprise refit from Star trek and the thing is huge (just look it up for fun)
Is that this one? 86 cm long — not bad if you have the room :smiling3:

So I will use a primer as the base white to spare money. But I need advice on what primer, base and clear coat for under and over there decals
From review, I get the impression the plastic is white. In that case, I can recommend a spraying can of Motip car primer (get it at car parts stores etc.) — this doesn’t cover too well on other colours of material, but since the plastic is white anyway, it won’t be a problem. Like I said in the other thread in which you basically asked the same question, you can follow it up with gloss white car paint as well, so you don’t need to put a gloss varnish over the model. I say this because in my experience, a lot more can go wrong with gloss varnish than with gloss paint.

L

Levi van den Berg

Is that this one? 86 cm long — not bad if you have the room :smiling3:

From review, I get the impression the plastic is white. In that case, I can recommend a spraying can of Motip car primer (get it at car parts stores etc.) — this doesn’t cover too well on other colours of material, but since the plastic is white anyway, it won’t be a problem. Like I said in the other thread in which you basically asked the same question, you can follow it up with gloss white car paint as well, so you don’t need to put a gloss varnish over the model. I say this because in my experience, a lot more can go wrong with gloss varnish than with gloss paint.
Yeah I am most definitely gonna go with cheap primer because I just found out that the vallejo primer has eaten the upper layer plastic of me stand :sad: