AFV 1/35 SCALE STURMTIGER.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I'll hold the ladder Richard:smiling2:
Nice to see you have made a start on the Sturmtiger. There are pages upon pages of discussion material about the rights and wrongs of this AFV. I wish you all the best with this build and yes you have to do the disc camo scheme:smiling5:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Afternoon.
Seems the tickets have gone well, ice creams to be served along with the Pims by our very own Steve "Rivit " Jones, in between holding Richards step ladder. Firstly thanks to Pete Low who has offered some shells very kind of him.:thumb2:

Simon...... Seat on the front row. Thanks for the offer of help, as you can see I'm ok for the shells but I might ask for help re the books .
Andrew........ You're more than welcome, from your distance there's a chance it will look pretty good .:smiling5:
Rick............. Hi ..... Some may remember I bought this for my Stalingrad Dio, but was quickly informed that it didn't exist then ! So moving on a couple of years it has now serviced.
Ian ...... Nice of you to join, the build has gone quite well and for me fast, the best bit will no doubt be Zimmerit and the damed camo which some members are looking forward too. Mr Jones in particluar :smiling4: so hang in for some fun.

Richard.........Greetings. as you can see Steve has offered to hold your steps l. I should check first that he is qualified :nerd:

Steve...........Hi ..... and thank you for acting as barman and general refreshments officer. Whats this about camo ! the Zimmerit will be bad enough.

Yesterday saw quite a lot of assembly, it went ok, apart from my first glaring error of putting half the suspension the wrong way round:smiling2::smiling2::smiling2: Its ok now, I do like the plastic used by AFV very forgiving. I managed to cut out some very thin section on the back deck, on two of them the join was wider than the part , but all survived.
There are some extremely small parts, the sprue can look like there is nothing on the end, but you can see a small part, the wing nuts are one example . I've not lost anything up to now as the apron has managed to catch two items that were launched by the tweezers.
Now for some photos. I do have one question relating to the barrel. When It goes together there are two halves to the inner section.These had studs on which fitted on to the barrel. There was only one way to fit. yet my results are different from the drawing On the drawing the two cut outs on the barrel are straight , where as mine are at an angle. The only way around this will to remove the one on the outer casing so the outer case lines up .
IMG_3397.jpgX3.jpg As above .

The overall parts on the benchIMG_3395.jpgX1.jpg
IMG_3396.jpgX2.jpg

The section above was fun, the lower edge that was so thin is at the bottom of the shot.
There are two colors used on the sprues, some have " late Strum Tiger printed on.
I shall build it as it comes, the only addition will be some pewter and the Fruill tracks.
Now I remember some one recently doing some home made Zimmerit, was it Ron If so could some one give me the link to the page.
Earlier on I looked at the rifling to the barrel,............... and put it down, going off now to PMMS to read what he said.
Thanks for looking in, help would be appreciated on the points I have mentioned and any other pit falls that I may encounter.
I can see why I stick mainly to Russian :smirk:
John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
How accurate do you want to be with the Zim? The reason I ask was the first Sturmtiger (prototye) and maybe one or two others didnt have it and I wasnt sure if you had decided which Sturmtiger you were building (Early or Late)

The prototype had earlier rubber-rimmed wheels, bolted-on nose armor, 20 gas openings in the muzzle, a straight-cut barrel sheath with no projections, 700mm idlers, early tracks and Feifel air cleaners.

Sturmtigers were built from recycled Tiger I hulls with steel wheels. If the original Tiger hull had zimmerit on it then it remained. The first 12 production Sturmtiger were built between August 13th to Sept 21st 1944. After Sept 9th 1944 no Zim was added to the Tiger hull if it was missing. The final 5 production model Sturmtigers were built in Dec. 1944. There was no Zim on the main structure, just the hull.

Also beware some pictures will show Sturmtigers without Zim because it has chipped off or is a poor quality photo. However there will be people who argue that there is picture evidence that two or three Sturmtigers had no Zim on them (ie the ones at Drolshagen, Bonn, and Kubinka) Ultimately you are on safer ground with Zim applied than without so long as you are not doing the original prototype. Confused? Wait until you start trying to put the stuff on your model:smiling5:

This link may help you with your Zim application YouTube

Reactions: JR

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Steve beat me to it:smiling5:... I was gonna say all that, plus don’t forget most sturmtigers had some dirt on them somewhere :smiling4:
Si

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Right men.
Before all at Race Towers bed down for the night.
Steve... Thanks for the pm, and I've had some thoughts about the Zim, see below !
Si ...Good evening Mr Benson, I'm sure we can add some dirt! Wait until you see the Tractor Dio !
Rick...... Thanks for that, might get some Mr Hobby then .
Having spend what seemed hrs searching the net Icam across some chap using Unibond no nails for the Zimmerit. Being water based I will be able to wash it off if needed. Also sent off for some Trumpeter Zimmerit tools. Unfortunately John here had no stock so I had to go else where.have
Also have a book on order
51AGWNN9WDL._SY361_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Got it 2nd hand for £ 10 something.
I will start to clean the wheels sets tomorrow, now Steve has told me the early wheels were not metal rimed I can try to remember not to paint them .
Can any one give me the Vallejo No's for the yellow and the camo.I didn't thinkmy Stalingrad ones looked right .
Thanks for looking in .
John boy signing off .
Good night .

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Can any one give me the Vallejo No's for the yellow and the camo.I didn't thinkmy Stalingrad ones looked right .
Thanks for looking in .
John boy signing off .
Good night .

Best i can find is

Yellow - Vallejo 882 - not a complete 100% version of Dunkelgelb
Brown - RAL 8017 - Vallejo 984 Flat Brown ( Matt )
Green - RAL 6003 - Vallejo 968 Flat Green ( Matt )

I use Tamiya , so mine would be

Yellow = xf57 or xf60
brown = xf64
Green = xf5

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Best i can find is

Yellow - Vallejo 882 - not a complete 100% version of Dunkelgelb
Brown - RAL 8017 - Vallejo 984 Flat Brown ( Matt )
Green - RAL 6003 - Vallejo 968 Flat Green ( Matt )

I use Tamiya , so mine would be

Yellow = xf57 or xf60
brown = xf64
Green = xf5
Hi Gary.... That will do me nicely thanks .:thumb2:
John:hungry:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
John,
I have the book you ordered, you won't be disappointed.
Cheers,Rick H.

T

Tony Lee

Yep I think i'll stick around as well if you don't mind. I've already built one of these AFV kit with full PE interior.

Tony lee

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning John

Starting to get confusing, I know how you feel. I am at weathering with my SturmTiger prototype, which has been a fun journey.

I have accumulated some references, which might help if you get stuck, just ask.

I'll put up a thread of where I am later today, as I need to share more with all the site

Good start with the late version, your wheels are all steel, its the early dished wheels which are rubber tyred

The rear decklayout could literally be 1 of 20 variations as it has been noted, they were all conversions of returned Tigers for the most part, so they would/could/should all be different.

Best to pick a reference and try to build that.

All good fun, I really look forward to your zimmerit, didn't the AFV kit come with zimmerit combs?

Mine did!

Hvae a fun day

regrads

Steve H

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Greetings fellow plastic stickers.
Rick ....... Thanks , that is good to read, you can never tell with books, esp when I couldn't find any reviews.
Tony....... Your most welcome, you will be pleased to read I've bought some Fruill tracks and will be fitting them at the right time:smiling3:
SteveH ........ I will look out for your post, thanks for the info on the wheels, think this will just have to be in the correct time zone, at least I can still have it in a building being rearmed and having some maintenance .
My book is due this week, so going to hold off any more build until I've found any relevant information.
As for the Zimmerit, no combs worse luck, but have ordered the Trumpeter ones. Had a look at some very expensive ones @ around £40, no way spending that amount . :sad:
Thanks for looking in and the help.
John.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
John,
I once read that you could do zimmeritt with a hacksaw blade. The coarseness being determined by the number of teeth on the blade.
Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Rick .Cheers.
Worth thing about as I have quite a few from when I was working.

John

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Great kit John, built the old Tamiya version many years back but it's impolite to post a finished kit on some one elses 'in prog' thread, so I won't. :smirk:
Will be watching this one :thumb2:

cheers, Jim.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great kit John, built the old Tamiya version many years back but it's impolite to post a finished kit on some one elses 'in prog' thread, so I won't. :smirk:
Will be watching this one :thumb2:

cheers, Jim.

Hi Jim.
Make your self comfortable.
You could pm a photo :thumb2::smiling3:
John. .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
John,
I once read that you could do zimmeritt with a hacksaw blade. The coarseness being determined by the number of teeth on the blade.
I normally use a fine modeller saw, but then, the only Zimmeritt I’ve done in recent years has been on 1/72 scale models. For 1/35 I’d probably just look for a coarser saw, though.

First Name
colin
Nice work so far John. I will grab my chair and sit in on this one.
I have used the no nails method for zim it works well,best to leave it for a while after application before you apply the pattern.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
All getting very complicated :smiling5: - so many possibilities. It was Ron who did the zimm but I can't pin point where although it was quite recent.
Keep having fun.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
G.C. Race. (Ret.)

Is the zimm. really neccessary? I know nothing about when or where, but perhaps the stuff wasn't applied, or fell off at the time you are thinking of modelling it?
If it helps I used my modelling knife and just scribed the zimmerit onto the paste.
If you want to wander over for a blimp it's on 'Roberts Panther G.B.' I hope it might be of some help.

I'm sure all the suggested methods mentioned will give excellent results, its just that I found scribing it on was fairly straight forward - ish!

Good luck boss whichever method you choose.

Last edited: