airbrush for newbie

S

scepe

I would like to purchase my first airbrush, can you guys recommend a compressor and airbrush.
I use spirit based enamels (personally hate acrylics) don't want to buy to basic airbrush and regret it in that I have to quickly buy more advanced brush or buy a top end brush to find I don't get on with it.
I make mainly war vehicles so want to do camo and weathering in all scale altho bigger the better

J

Jens Andrée

IMHO there are two schools, Harder & Steenbeck or Iwata.
The question how you prefer to clean your tools will point in either way.

If you, like me, want to take apart the airbrush after each session and sometimes even between paints, and doing this easily and fast then you want to go for a H&S airbrush.
If you on the other hand prefer to "clean" the airbrush by backflushing it and not take it apart, almost never, then Iwata is the route for you. (not all agree on this but you'll find statistics agree with me ;) )

I prefer H&S due to it being so easy to dismantle and clean. Infinity CRplus is the one you want. Buy once, cry once instead of going cheap and having to buy a more expensive soon thereafter... (which I did...)

I looked at a lot of compressors and talked to people to get their verdict on various compressors and I bought the Sparmax TC-610H after my research. It's the most bang for the bucks with regards to compressors and it's a popular model so it's easy to buy replacement/service parts when needed.

For Iwata others can better say which airbrush models are better. The compressor I suggested is the right one regardless of which airbrush you get!

That's my recommendations and I suspect more than a few will agree with me.

J

John Rixon

Have a look at Doog''s models review of the Mr Hobby airbrush. I reckon it looks really impressive and is a reasonable price. I wouldn't buy anything without at least watching that video - if I was in the market for a second airbrush, I'd be sorely tempted!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
John, Jens and I, all, quiet independently bought the Infinity CR plus, and it looks like Peter above has one as well. I like it loads. It replaced my H & S Evolution Silverline, which was a good Ab anyway.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Going to throw my opinion in as well.
I have been using Iwata for the majority of my modeling. I used to use an H&S evolution silver line and Iwata eclipse hp cs, but when I switched to Iwata, I noticed the action was a lot smoother and the spraying more accurate. I use an Iwata Hi Line HP CH. The hi line has a fine control valve, which the infinity does not. It allows for very accurate spraying.
Also, where I live, Iwata are cheaper than H&S. Btw, Iwata owns H&S.
2DA0DC94-6287-4948-AD26-560B21D8BF89.jpeg
This is probably my best work with an Iwata, which shows a little of what it is capable of.
John

J

John Rixon

I'd certainly endorse the Infinty - it is a truly fantastic piece of kit, but just saying that it no longer seems to be a two horse race between Iwata and H&S, and that other manufacturers are upping their game. One general think I'd highlight, is that once you use a particular make for a while, you will get to know their characteristics intimately, and should not be dismissed! But, despite the fact that some folks get on fine with cheap Chinese brushes, spending more on a real quality one will almost certainly pay dividends.

S

Stevekir

IMHO there are two schools, Harder & Steenbeck or Iwata.
The question how you prefer to clean your tools will point in either way.

If you, like me, want to take apart the airbrush after each session and sometimes even between paints, and doing this easily and fast then you want to go for a H&S airbrush.
If you on the other hand prefer to "clean" the airbrush by backflushing it and not take it apart, almost never, then Iwata is the route for you. (not all agree on this but you'll find statistics agree with me ;) )

I prefer H&S due to it being so easy to dismantle and clean. Infinity CRplus is the one you want. Buy once, cry once instead of going cheap and having to buy a more expensive soon thereafter... (which I did...)

I looked at a lot of compressors and talked to people to get their verdict on various compressors and I bought the Sparmax TC-610H after my research. It's the most bang for the bucks with regards to compressors and it's a popular model so it's easy to buy replacement/service parts when needed.

For Iwata others can better say which airbrush models are better. The compressor I suggested is the right one regardless of which airbrush you get!

That's my recommendations and I suspect more than a few will agree with me.

That's exactly my opinion (the bold part). My Infinity CRplus is good quality and easy to thoroughly clean (which I do each time).