Aircraft camo painting

A

Awins

When airbrushing camo onto an aircraft, most WW2 have a lighter underside and a darker two tone upper surface.
Which is it best to apply first the upper or the underside ?

Cheers Alan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
For me, underside every time. It's much easier to cover a light colour with darker than vice-versa. The underside is usually easier to mask, which is an added bonus!
Cheers
Steve

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
yep, always start with lightest shade and go darker

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
As above, always the underside first,

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Agreed, that is how I have always worked as do I believe most of us.

But some work it the other way. There is a YouTube video of someone working dark to light on a IL2 build using MRP paint. He was freehand spraying and explained that any overspray of light on the dark would be less visible and there are no coverage problems with modern paint. Personally I am not convinced it works with all colours but not having tried it I cannot say for sure.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
He was freehand spraying and explained that any overspray of light on the dark would be less visible and there are no coverage problems with modern paint.

I spray the demarcation between top and bottom colours freehand when applicable and would say that overspray (not in the sense of the merging of the upper and lower camouflage) would be undesirable, whichever was round it might be.
I don't think the type of paint has anything to do with it.
Cheers
Steve