Airfix 1/32 Jaguar XKR GT3

F

Fenlander

Bit of a curve ball this one. When I found the MG in the shed, I also found this. No idea when I got it but, like the MG, it must have been a couple of years ago at least.

DSC_0170.JPG

Not my thing really as it is not 1/24 and, as a kit, is quite simplified. But it intrigued me as to what I could make of it.

To kick off, I primed the body and sprayed it with Humbrol Metaliser Gunmetal. The call out is for Humbrol Gunmetal but this is the only one I have so I went with it.

DSC_0167.JPG

This was buffed up a bit to get the true Gunmetal colour, it is a dull dark grey until it is buffed.

I then masked off the area for the white stripe that runs back to front tapering at both ends. Messed this up a bit but it will do. I sprayed this with Tamiya gloss white.

DSC_0168.JPG

Then it was on with the decals which will have the next 24 hours to fully dry before giving it a wipe over with a damp cloth to get rid of all the Microsol stains prior to clear coating.

DSC_0171.JPG

Decals are not perfect by any means but, again, they will do.

The wheels are very simple. One piece tyres and wheel in plastic but the detail is good. These were primed in black Stynylrez then sprayed with Tamiya Dark Rubber. Once this was dry I measured the rim diameter and using a compass cutter, I cut out disks from some 18mm Tamiya masking tape and used the hole in the tape to mask off the tyres. The alloy wheels were then sprayed AK Xtreme Metal Dull Aluminium. Again, not perfect but near enough.

DSC_0169.JPG

And that is I for now. Next up,the interior.

More to follow.

F

Fenlander

That's looking sweet Graham. I think you've found your true calling, building cars and Lorries.

I think you are right Ian, only wish I knew something about them lol. Never been a petrol head, prefer my push bike.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I often think metallics fail in these scales just because the flakes are too big. But this looks perfect.

F

Fenlander

Bit more done today but not the all important clear coat, more of that later.

The wheels are odd. The nicely detailed little disc brakes attach, just, to the inside of the all plastic wheel and tyre followed by what is essentially, the inside side wall of the tyre. Not exactly a strong join but a shot of superglue appears to be holding it all together. Once in position though, they look ok.

The interior has been finished off. Not a lot of detail and no call out other than silky white so not sure what the detail should be picked out in. Won't be seen so it doesn't really matter. The seat callout is 'red' so that is what it got after sanding off the not brilliant mounded in harness. I replaced this with white Tamiya tape for masking curves. Not great but again, will not be seen. The roll cage however is very nicely done.

DSC_0178.JPG

DSC_0179.JPG

At this point I would have liked to have had the body shell clear coated. Sadly, I am a bit tight and as the smallest amount I can accurately mix up is way too much for this small model, I decided to wait until I get the next kits body ready for clear coating so I can do both with one mix.

But, you have to have a mockup so here it is, without the windows. Pain to get the body on but once it snapped together, it was a bigger pain to separate them again. One thing, it will not need glue which is a blessing.

So here it is, essentially finished but not quite. Should get it clear coated in a couple of days then the glass will go in.

DSC_0175.JPG

DSC_0176.JPG

DSC_0173.JPG

DSC_0172.JPG

meggsy

SMF Supporter
First Name
steve
Nice build graham im not a lover of airfix cars built the Ford Fiesta rally car few years ago not a patch on tamiya but you have done a cracking job on that

J

John Huggins

Looks the bizz Graham, As you say Airfix detailing ant great on the inside but you have done a good job mate.

John

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Looking the business!:cool:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Is there no end to perfection Graham ??
This looks fantastic.
I ha e the Airfix Fiesta in my stash but wow this is something to beat.

Well done you

Regards

Robert

F

Fenlander

Is there no end to perfection Graham ??
This looks fantastic.
I ha e the Airfix Fiesta in my stash but wow this is something to beat.

Well done you

Regards

Robert

Lol, I think perfection is pushing it a lot. This is really just an experiment piece to see how Clear Coat works on metallic enamel finishes. It is a sweet little car though.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
That is looking beautiful and it reminds me to get a car some time can't wait for the finished article

F

Fenlander

That is looking beautiful and it reminds me to get a car some time can't wait for the finished article

Well, I have sprayed the body shell of the next one today so all being well, I will get them both clear coated tomorrow.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That does look great Graham. You do have a knack for these wheeled things!

F

Fenlander

Finally clear coated and got the glass in and the mirrors on. Don't know why but the glass just didn't seem to fit well, especially the rear lights. Also headlamp glass wouldn't go on until I took out the headlamps again and re fit them best I could once the glass had set.

Cannot say this is my best build, a few niggles along the way but for the scale and price, it doesn't look too bad.

DSC_0193.JPG

DSC_0190.JPG

DSC_0187.JPG

DSC_0189.JPG

DSC_0192.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice one. I'm not a car builder but I like what you have achieved here lots.

P

PWick

Superb Job Fenlander, I have one on the shelf that I need to get on with, but a few others to do first.