Merkava MkIV

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mick .
Glad to see you didn't shelve it , and nice save on the skirt .
John .

First Name
Wouter
Hi Mick, nice work on the charriot so far. I have this kit in the stash as well so this thread might come in handy. Though I already built a Merkava IV couple of years ago and I think I won't build another one very soon. Those ball and chains on the turret weren't the most fun part to assemble on those tanks :smiling2:. Keep up the good work!

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mick,
I can fully sympathise with you and the rear bar grill. You escaped before the damage was done. I am putting together a Churchill for a future build, and on the front I discovered there are mud shoots on the real thing. Looked at the illustration on the box, not there, went through the instructions, not added to this version.... So sent away for another Churchill where these parts are included in the kit, intention to copy and build. Going through the parts in the 'new' box, looked at one of the sprues and thought Hello! this looks familiar!!! Got the first one out, turned the instructions to the page that shows to the parts layout - sprue 'C' - identical to the other kit.....:tired:
Wonder when I will learn to read ALL of the instructions.... Mike.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
These testing little bits are the final parts I’ve had to build. There’s a little pot with pieces to fit but it’s time to start undercoating.
FB804701-1B14-4B71-B76B-57A2C5019FF1.jpeg

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
First up a couple of pics with some bits held on with blue tac.
The next pic shows the application of the nail wrapping film to the optics, this one is a pinky colour until the sun hits it, I think it’s quite convincing.
0BD4E0B9-8363-4928-AB36-37990F867640.jpegDA84E86E-D6FE-4FB5-8A27-0042608403A8.jpeg
2172B632-328C-4FD7-9617-5F812FFB249C.jpeg

Last edited:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mick,
Starting to look something now, even the non slip stands out better than I thought and looks on the bare plastic.
Mike.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Thanks for catching up with my typically slow build gents. I’m quite pleased now there’s some paint on it, they have done a nice job with the anti slip which really stands out now the undercoat is on

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mick
You must have quite a sense of satisfaction having sorted so many problems. It does look good now with some paint.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

That's one chunky monkey Mick. Great work and the anti slip does indeed look good.

R

Robo

I've built the mk3 and the ball and chain was photo etch, what a nightmare, ended up throwing it in the bin and using small anglers fishing weights number 8 in size and some fine chain with a touch of superglue, I suppose you could use tiny ball bearings as well both, of these have a bit of weight. I know you can buy ball and chain sets of the internet which look really good. Good luck.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
On returning from my granddad duties down south I've still not had much bench time but one thing I have been looking at was the turret basket and the canvas type panels on it. These are not provided in the kit and gives instructions how to make some up from tissue. My concern with this was the application of decals on them.
In the PE set I'm using there are three panels but there is no way I could get these to look like material so I decided on a more experimental approach.
IMG_1391.jpg
These are the PE parts and a piece of am old pillow case painted up.

IMG_1392.jpg

I then traced the decal, transferred it onto paper and made a stencil. I tidied it up a bit before applying paint.
IMG_1393.jpg

I gave it a light spray with white paint.

IMG_1394.jpg

Then tidied up the edges using a brush. There are some very thin black lines to add then cut it out. Two more to do and then see how these look.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
On returning from my granddad duties down south I've still not had much bench time but one thing I have been looking at was the turret basket and the canvas type panels on it. These are not provided in the kit and gives instructions how to make some up from tissue. My concern with this was the application of decals on them.
In the PE set I'm using there are three panels but there is no way I could get these to look like material so I decided on a more experimental approach.
View attachment 335294
These are the PE parts and a piece of am old pillow case painted up.

View attachment 335295

I then traced the decal, transferred it onto paper and made a stencil. I tidied it up a bit before applying paint.
View attachment 335296

I gave it a light spray with white paint.

View attachment 335297

Then tidied up the edges using a brush. There are some very thin black lines to add then cut it out. Two more to do and then see how these look.
Mick
Nothing wrong there, that is how it was done in the field, in fact on some of the real photos yours looks 10 times better.
Mike

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That's outstanding work Mick. Very creative. Will remember that one for another day