Airfix 1:48 Folland Gnat

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The Gnat. A little something I've been building for a while now. There are plenty of reviews and build logs all over the place so I didn't bother.
The only problems I had was dodgy Vallejo primer causing me grief, can't blame the model for that. I did use resin seats and PE belts just because the cockpit is so open.
The fuselage is a bit tight to close, so some of the internals got a bit of a sanding to help things out.
I also used the newish Vallejo metal paints. I like them, they might even replace Alclad for general work. The dayglow paint was a very old tin of Humbrol enamel, which (after stirring for 2 and a half hours) worked brilliantly.
One big mistake I did make was to forget about the dayglow shinning through the roundels. So, if you build this scheme, paint a white circle under the roundel positions.
Overall, a very nice model, easily worth the price of around £10.00
FLHS.JPG

Left rear.JPG

LHS.JPG

Pit 1.JPG

Pit 2.JPG

Upper 1.JPG

Upper 2.JPG Upper 3.JPG

Upper 4.JPG

D

dubster72

Beautiful stuff Colin, very clean paintwork & the cockpit looks excellent.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb work colin , its a real beauty.Its a difficult scheme to paint requiring a lot of precise masking and a couple of awkward colours (silver / day glo orange) but youve nailed it , its a beautifully crisp ,clean build , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Magnificent Gnat Colin. Subtly weathered with staining, I like it

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Great job there Colin painting and weathering is perfect well done mate.

First Name
Dave
Nice one Colin.I did one when it first came out. The decals on mine were very fragile.Not up to Airfix usual high standards.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Great work, impressive weathering!:smiling3:

D

Doug Hughes

Superb, Colin. Until I inspected the background more closely, I thought the first photo was the real thing!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thank you all for stopping by and taking time to comment. I need to learn how to use my camera better. The dayglow has some white and yellow showing through to simulate a bit of wear, and the silver/grey has quite a bit of variance to it, none of which you can see in the pictures. Maybe the 'auto' function isn't the best option to use - just the easiest.

decals on mine were very fragile
No problems here Dave, well up to their normal standard for me.

precise masking
Lots of masking tape and some cling film was destroyed in the making of this model. I should have bought more at Cosford.

Anyway, this nice bright little thing has got me thinking. I might do a few more training aircraft. It certainly brightens up a shelf full of camouflage aircraft.

Colin M..

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The Airfix jet provost t3 got good reviews colin, and theres their vampire t11 too , both relatively cheap newly tooled kits

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Forgot to include the old Matchbox piston engined Percival Provost too (you'll have to get lucky on e bay) , I know you love a good old matchbox kit and this one was supposed to be very nice

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Forgot to include the old Matchbox piston engined Percival Provost too (you'll have to get lucky on e bay) , I know you love a good old matchbox kit and this one was supposed to be very nice
All good ideas Tony, and what a great excuse to hunt down a Matchbox kit

B

Bangor Lad

Really nice build and superbly finished too! I have a soft spot for the Gnat. I live near RAF Valley and remember spending days nearby watching Gnats and Hunters all day long. I also have a photo of me taken in a Gnat during one of their open days.
Cheers
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Really nice build and superbly finished too! I have a soft spot for the Gnat. I live near RAF Valley and remember spending days nearby watching Gnats and Hunters all day long. I also have a photo of me taken in a Gnat during one of their open days.
Cheers
Dave
Thanks for commenting Dave,
I've only seen Gnats more recently at air shows. I grew up on a diet of Hawks (and some other interesting things) at RAE Llanbedr when on holiday there as a lad.

B

Bangor Lad

Thanks for commenting Dave,
I've only seen Gnats more recently at air shows. I grew up on a diet of Hawks (and some other interesting things) at RAE Llanbedr when on holiday there as a lad.
We've stayed at the campsite at the end of the runway about ten years ago. Not much activity by then apart from a few Hawks beating the place up on their way down to the west Wales gunnery ranges.
Dave