Airfix 1:72 Messerschmitt Me 262A-1A

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Just think how many modellers would have thought "sod it" and give up:eek:.
So well done for persevering and I look forward to more Colin:smiling3:.
It has been a bit disappointing, but not bad enough to bin. But anyway, that's all behind me now, it has paint on it.
The underside first. The pre-shading is still visible, just not in the pic.
IMG_1799.JPG

Then, the first colour of camouflage. Now then, the thing is here, the internet is full of slightly different schemes. So, I've picked on one that involves quite a bit of mottling. A good excuse for playing with a new airbrush which has produced a nice patchy effect.
IMG_1801.JPG

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

It sounds like the revell 1/72 262 is still best in scale... Funny because I would had thought that this would had been really good.
Nice work so far

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Looking good Colin and well done for perseverance, looks like that new airbrush is treating you well, always nice to play about with a new tool for the trade isn't it? Just over two weeks before I get my new (and third and final) airbrush... happy days!
By the way if you ever want to test your skills or bang your head against a wall on a me262 again try one of Dragons old 1/48 offerings, they're a real hoot even John (airfix modeller freak) will back me up.
Keep up the good work.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It sounds like the revell 1/72 262 is still best in scale... Funny because I would had thought that this would had been really good.
Nice work so far
It is quite a nice kit, but, problems with some of the undercarriage mouldings, a dodgy pilot and then the nacelles - all a bit much for a new tool kit.

if you ever want to test your skills or bang your head against a wall on a me262 again try one of Dragons old 1/48 offerings

Well, the thing is I really like the Me262. It has a great shape along with its sleek looks, so a larger scale build might be on the cards.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
It is quite a nice kit, but, problems with some of the undercarriage mouldings, a dodgy pilot and then the nacelles - all a bit much for a new tool kit.
They are a great looking early jet arent they? If that's the case take a look at some of the hobbyboss offerings in 1/48 i have it that these are grear builds, as are the dragons if your happy to put in the work. Check out my 1/48 dragon me262 here:
http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/phils-1-48-dragon-me262-a-1a-u4.24900/

Well, the thing is I really like the Me262. It has a great shape along with its sleek looks, so a larger scale build might be on the cards.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's all painted. There's a couple of errors to correct (unless a nice big decal will do that for me), but otherwise, it came out alright. Spraying mottle in 1:72 wasn't something I could do in the past, but this new AB, is working really well.
The maroon and blue bands were also painted, the decal provided for this looked like trouble. A bit of blue lifted and has been touched up, adding a bit of character to the finish - best excuse I can think of right now.
IMG_1803.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

IMG_1806.JPG

When all done I was going to try a bit of oil dot filtering, but I managed quite a 'patchy' finish straight out of the AB, so I might skip that step.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Why not? Looks pretty good to me Colin. Colours look pretty bang on aswell.
Nice work.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

The Trumpeter 1/32 Me 262A-1a will always rule the larger scales....
btw, nice camo

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Why not? Looks pretty good to me Colin. Colours look pretty bang on aswell.
Nice work.
Thanks Phil. I mixed the green from the many I have sat here, but the 'other colour' I had to pop down to the local toy shop and buy. I just couldn't decide what colour it was and how to mix it.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Build completed, pics in the 'Completed' section.