Airfix 1/72 R.A.F. Air Sea Rescue Launch..........'The Sea Shall Not Have Them'

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This year marks the 100th Anniversary of the forming of the R.A.F.

Rather than build an aircraft, and by way of a little tribute, I came up with this...

P1190054.JPG

P1190055.JPG
At first glance, it looks a very nicely moulded, detailed, and complicated model.......

Cheers.
Ron

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
When i was younger, a lot lot younger, i always wanted one of these. TBH i thought they went out of production years ago, so may have to grab one. But for now will settle to enjoy watching you build yours.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
Right, we are off and running.
First impressions - This kit first saw light of day in 1978( according to a pressing on the inside of the two piece hull) and it shows. Loads of spare plastic to clean up, yet once done, the fit is spot on. Also, there is loads of nice crisp detail. Who wants a kit that just falls together anyway? - Not I.

Here's the hull and main deck, plus wheel house, and bits on the sprues, all first coated. All streaky and 'orrible. Such is the brush painter's lot.....

P1190077.JPG

P1190076.JPG

P1190079.JPG

....and the colour scheme - I hope!

P1190080.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice work do fat Ron, I too like a kit were you have to do some work at least to get a decent finish.

G

Graham D

I might have to buy this one as well, to go with my British and German torpedo boats. If you are thinking about replacing any bits with after market parts, Coastal Craft do nice resin and PE, or Great Little Ships also do 1/72 replacement parts

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Graham, I can't afford, nor ever want, after market parts. I consider them to be a big rip-off. I get more satisfaction building just what's in the box - and buy loads more kits with the money thus saved!

......that all reads a bit terse and abrupt, it's not mean't to be, it's just my own honest opinion. But I hope you get my drift.

Cheers.
Ron

G

Graham D

Graham, I can't afford, nor ever want, after market parts. I consider them to be a big rip-off. I get more satisfaction building just what's in the box - and buy loads more kits with the money thus saved!

......that all reads a bit terse and abrupt, it's not mean't to be, it's just my own honest opinion. But I hope you get my drift.

Cheers.
Ron
No worrys, and I do get your drift, every one to their own. You do have a point with the cost

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry Graham, I forgot to thank you for the suggestions and info. in my previous post.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I made one of these a few years ago and liked it so much I bought another ... Sneaky plan: The hull from this kit is the same as the whale backed torpedo boat....
You might have issues with the yellow number decals on the black hull. You might want to paint them.
I might have to watch this build

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice work do fat Ron, I too like a kit were you have to do some work at least to get a decent finish.
Ron I've just re- read this post, and it looks like I'm calling you fat, sorry about that, I would never do that. It must have been predictive text. It was meant to say " nice work that Ron ".
Please forgive me. :unamused:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ron I've just re- read this post, and it looks like I'm calling you fat, sorry about that, I would never do that. It must have been predictive text. It was meant to say " nice work that Ron ".
Please forgive me. :unamused:

O.K., I'm in a good mood, but next time your hands will be tied up with piano wire and you will be put against a wall and shot!.....Understood?

I feel better for that, now where was I.....?

I've been concentrating on my Tiger 1, but I've done a fair bit to this too.

P1190110.JPG

P1190112.JPG

P1190111.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your input boys....

I've done a bit more to the launch.

P1190129.JPG

P1190130.JPG

For fellow brush painters, here's the two chisel headed brushes I've used so far.
P1190140.JPG
Nice clean nails Matron!

Cheers.
Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent choice of subject mate , its a nice looking kit , Airfix made some really good moulds in the late 70s and this looks like one of them . A fitting tribute to the RAF s 100 year anniversary too , these boats saved a good many ditched airman , also a very interesting back story concerning the origin of these craft ,a certain Colonel T E Lawrence (as in Lawrence of Arabia) being a driving force behind their creation. Thanks Ron for putting another potential stash purchase into my mind! cheers fat tony