AIRFIX 1/72 S-BOAT

J

John Huggins

View attachment 94339

Ok then I'll keep this short, we all know the problems with the hull nothings changer there then.

So with that sorted,

View attachment 94340

This build will be OOTB more or less im not going to be to fussy.

Someone left some rope lying around on the deck, ok with them safely stowed away we can continue.

View attachment 94341

View attachment 94342

Onward to the prop shafts, very bad fit need to blend them into the hull.

View attachment 94343

View attachment 94344

Well that was it for today till next time have fun

John

P1090132.JPG

P1090136.JPG

P1090137.JPG

P1090138.JPG

P1090139.JPG

P1090140.JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That's a coincidence John. I bought this same kit (and a few others) in the recent Airfix sale.

I was about to start it soon, but I'll leave it in the box and let you be the guinea pig and show us all the right way to build this boat!

My chair is well and truly pulled up close......

D

dubster72

I built this as a kid - I remember it being mostly slate grey & the paint was about an inch thick!

This will be an interesting trip down memory lane John :smiling3:

J

John Huggins

\ said:
That's a coincidence John. I bought this same kit (and a few others) in the recent Airfix sale.I was about to start it soon, but I'll leave it in the box and let you be the guinea pig and show us all the right way to build this boat!

My chair is well and truly pulled up close......
Thanks Ron got this in the same sale, as for showing the right way we shall see.

John

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
View attachment 95426Ok then I'll keep this short, we all know the problems with the hull
erm.....no :oops:

and i also picked up one of these so i will definatly be watching to see how its done, since floaty boaty things arnt really my thing

J

John Huggins

\ said:
erm.....no :oops: and i also picked up one of these so i will definatly be watching to see how its done, since floaty boaty things arnt really my thing
Hi Paul, good to have u & all the others along for the voyage, I have only built two in the past so I'm no expert.

John

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
ive only done 2 in the last 8 years lol......got quite a few in the stash but i keep chickening out

but what is the problems with the hull? :eek:

J

John Huggins

\ said:
ive only done 2 in the last 8 years lol......got quite a few in the stash but i keep chickening outbut what is the problems with the hull? :eek:
The hull is in three parts & none of them fit together, lot of sanding & filler.

John

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
ahhh.....to be honest i havnt even opened the box yet cos swmbo grabbed it as it came thro the door and wrapped it for crimbo lol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I built this a while ago, there might even be a photo of it here some place...

The hull on mine was not to bad, not saying it was perfect though. A bit of time dry fitting and checking the fit got it sorted. I dont think I used filler except on the transom. (the back bit).

If you want a paint colour, Vallejo Model color aluminium white hits the spot. (despite the name, it is white and not a metal colour).

Ian M

J

John Huggins

Not much been done today had to go to grandsons birthday party, deck painted, bridge built, mine rack/mines built + torpedo's.

Drilled out the fog horn to give it a bit of depth, bridge roof not glued on will paint first then put in the windows, nothing is glued to deck as they will be painted first.

Also torpedo tubes made ready to be cleaned up.

View attachment 94409

View attachment 94410

View attachment 94411

View attachment 94412

View attachment 94413

Well that's all I could do today, till next time,

John

P1090145.JPG

P1090146.JPG

P1090147.JPG

P1090148.JPG

P1090149.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start John,looks interesting to me never built a boat ;)