Airfix 1/600 Iron Duke/Hms Marlborough

B

Bari

HI, Thought I would make a start on this. HMS Marlborough was one of the Iron Duke class of ship and the first ship my father was posted to back in January of 1929. I thought I would have a bash at changing Iron Duke to Marlborough. Fortunately all the photo's I have found so far show very little change just a second mast towards the stern of the ship. I did think of the Combrig model of Marlborough but never having done a resin kit I though I would start with what I know, also it costs a lot more. As we know its an old kit but with the exception of a bit of flash it doesn't look to bad in the box. So far I have put the hull together, this didn't seem to want to line up and the indents at the stern for the rudders and stern gear were out of line. After some fiddling it appeared that the two midships locating pegs were causing the problem, once thay were got rid of it all lined up ok. I had great difficulty with the small guns on the side of the deck as the pins on the housing they were in were too big for the locating holes. Once that was sorted out I found that the holes in the small guns were then too small for the guns to fit over the pegs. After enlarging the holes during which I was lucky to only break 4 of the gun barrels off I got them all on then it was just a case of drilling small holes and locating new barrels from stretched sprue. I hope that will be the worst of it but probably not...

View attachment 52528

View attachment 52529

View attachment 52530

View attachment 52531

View attachment 52532

View attachment 52533

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

B

Bari

J

John Huggins

Looking good Barry, nice bit of work.

Keep the pic's coming.

John

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Barry. Which red did you use for the hull below the waterline? There seems to be a lot of variation in the shades of red used. Was there a standard shade used? I know it was a lead based anti corrosion coat. I've acquired an old HMS Ajax kit and a White Ensign PE set for it with the intention of building it as it was at River Plate as a tribute ot my Great Uncle. So I am gathering lots of snippets of information where I can as my nautical knowledge is not great. I'd also be interested in rigging if you happen to apply that to your Iron Duke/Marlborough.