Airfix 1/72 Westland sea king

T

T. van Vuuren

I did look at that scheme but I might just do the overall green for simpliciy.

Theuns

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Nice start I have this one in my stash so I will be watching with interest.

I also have on the go is the old airfix one I will be nice to make a comparison.

T

T. van Vuuren

What I recall about the olf sea king was that is is a total nightmare with all those rivets....it did however come in the nice all over yellow scheme.

Pitty my kit did not come with this :sad:

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Well Ian, with the bad luck on the CH 53 I dont want to tempt fate again LOL

I will however go for the folded blades and tail option :smiling:

Theuns

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
OK, so it would not be a real glossy paint on it then? I would have thought that Naval helos would be glossy for easier cleaning of sea spray, but then paint does fade...

Theuns

No gloss paint on dippers or junglies I would have thought, gloss means reflections. What you may see is the application of a preservative over certain parts of the airframe for corrosion protection. These are often applied with a rag after a wash and leave a slightly sayin finish. I don't recall applying this to HAR3's except for the landing gear and winch cable - and I did a lot of aircraft and winch washes.

T

T. van Vuuren

I was more refering to the sheen on naval aircraft to help with keeping it clean from sea spray. Granted it is not glossy like an airshow plane but not as dull matt at one might have expected.Look at how faded the Melyns are in comparason.

royal-navy_s-commando-helicopter-force-sea-king-hc4-848-squadron.jpg

Theuns 

T

T. van Vuuren

I just cut 1mm wide strips of masking tape and stuck it on....it is amazing how fast you can run out of patterns to put them on to try look random LOL

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

I got the fuselage closed up, interestingly the windshield is made up of 3 sections that have to be glued on. It was a little fiddly but with carefull application of tamiya extra thin in the joints it woked out well.Next is to sand the jointlines on the the fuse then add all the little "lumps and bumps" in form of the sensors ect.Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

I have some time between projects at work so I am pushing with some model builds.

Here it is sofar. I addec most of the sencors ect but will leave off the antennae till after detals, they are to fragile.

The paint is xtra colour X316 Chech MiG gren. The sunlight makes it look alot darker and greenre than real lift, I think it will be OK.

Now I need to let it cure for a few days before decals...

Theuns

DSC00559.JPG

DSC00561.JPG

B

Builder

Coming together nicely Thuens mate. Really liked the interior, and looks like you picked a colour at last!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice work. It looks a nice detailed helicopter, does it come in yellow ?

T

T. van Vuuren

Bob....I took the chicken's way out with the simple colour scheme. I will dirty it up a little :smiling:

I have seen the all yellow rescu sea king but I think it is only the horrible old tool one, pitty I would have liked to do a yellow one.

I se on the HC4 the whel sponsons are removed, I assume it is not an amphib anymore?

Theuns

Last edited:
B

Builder

Bob....I took the chicken's way out with the simple colour scheme. I will dirty it up a little :smiling:

I have seen the all yellow rescu sea king but I think it is only the horrible old tool one, pitty I would have liked to do a yellow one.

I se on the HC4 the whel sponsons are removed, I assume it is not an amphib anymore?

Theuns

Nice work. It looks a nice detailed helicopter, does it come in yellow ?

This kit does come in yellow, albiet only as a starter set, so you will pay a bit more - I have checked scalemates and this is the new tool one. 

a55307-front.jpg