Airfix Spit in a bag, GB non GB complete.

M

m1ks

So here it is.

Couple of things i'm not entirely happy with.

I tore a part of an upper wing roundel whilst masking for the cannon holes, my own fault being careless so i've tried to make it look a bit 'wear and tear, battle damage' as I couldn't recover the portion on the masking tape.

I didn't fill the Starboard wing root well enough and the join shows.

Rubbed a bit of paint off the exhaust while dry fitting and trimming the locating lug, (also a dab required on the tailgear and wheel)

Could have dirtied up the underside a wee bit more, make it look a bit more oily.

Otherwise i'm pretty chuffed with this and surprised that a £4.50 kit can be made into quite a nice display piece.

Added a pin wash for the control surfaces, dirtied up the underside, added smoke and soot to panels behind exhaust and wing surfaces from cannon, used Tamiya smoke heavily thinned initially but was getting nowhere fast so used heavily thinned flat black airbrushed on at a very low pressure, (about 8PSI)

Overcoated with Xtracrylix Satin Varnish and added an aerial of cotton, then noticed while taking the pics that the Pitot tube has done a runner, will have to get another bit of sprue stretched to remake that.

It's currently sitting on a stand salvaged from a vintage Hurricane kit.

Last edited:
D

dm73

Lovely looking plane, paint job is spot on. Shame about the decal on the wing but you've done a grand job making it look like a bit of damage. The curse of the pitot tube got to you as well:cheesygrin:

Cheers

Darren

F

Fenlander

I think I have given up on pitot tubes, curse of my life lol. Another fine example of what can be made with these very basic kits. Really like the gun staining, looks very good. Decals and masking tape rarely mix do they lol but well recovered Mike.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's a pretty sensational looking kit for £4.50! I think the torn roundel actually does look very much like wear and tear to the finish. All this 1/72 quality is making me want to do a braille scale dio!

BTW, is everyone aware of this site that shows all the BOB squadrons?

The Battle of Britain - Home Page

Cheers

Paul

R

roconnell

Certainly a hard act to follow as mine is only just coming together! Really like how you have done your weathering, echo Fenlander the guns also, top build.

Rich

B

Bunkerbarge

Another example of a great 1/72nd kit and demonstrates again just how much of a "Bang for your buck" you can get out of these kits. Very effective weathering, not easy at this scale, and the underside looks particularly effective.

Good to see one in a flying pose with a pilot as well, you can really appreciate the lines of this aircraft like that.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cool! a flying Spitfire,it's how they look best.Nice job.

If I may make a suggestion re.the roundel damage. Touch it up with an approximately matching blue and white paint. I've seen photos of the real thing where this sort of thing has obviously been done. There is a famous piccy of a VbTrop (AN*V) where a large repair has been made to the roundel and it has been partially repainted in the underside colour,probably Azure! You'll notice that the nearby starboard aileron is from another machine with the mirror camouflage scheme. Obviously a major repair has been made to this wing.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kressy13

Hi mate

Great work on the spit. Looks great. Quick question. How did you apply the exhaust stains and gun smoke?

Cheers

Kresten

M

m1ks

It was nothing more complicated than flat black thinned to a more watery texture than usual and airbrushed at very low pressure, (about 8PSI), then just careful building up of the layers until it looked good to me.

I originally tried tamiya smoke but maybe I thinned it too much or the base was a bit dark but after three passes it just wasn't working hence the black mix.

Thanks for the kind comments all, I did think of painting the roundel damage back in but was worried it'd be an obvious colour difference, :smiling3: oh well.

Still, I think it looks quite good damaged, this could be the mission pre-repair.