AIRFIX WWI MALE TANK MARK 1 - WWI Memorial GB

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Colin - I have been studying Solomon's work for a few weeks now. There are a lot of grey areas surrounding the Mk 1 at Fleurs due to the lack of photographic evidence. A lot of peoples opinions are based on what came later especially the camo work on Mk IV's. The grey areas are; was there camo on the top or on the rear wheel unit and wheels? Was the paintwork hard lined, blended or a mixture of both?. I think there will be some artistic license so the jury is still out on which way I go
Which means, you can do what you like. I find it a touch amazing that things like this were never recorded, or at least no records survived. A bit like PC10, the protective coating for aircraft in WW1. People guess it could have been anything from chocolate brown to dark green - we just don't know.

Loving the tarp' covers.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice looking box Steve, with a coat of paint and some weathering it will look great as usual.:thumb2:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Thanks Ian. Appreciate it sir:thumb2:
JR - It certainly came out of her sewing tin. The reel looked as old as you mate so pre Victorian I think:smiling5:
Cheers Fernando. Undercoat should be going on soon
Thanks Scottie. Hope to finish the grenade deflector later this week

Last edited:

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Pete - I had seen this one during my research but I was not happy with the colours so dismissed it. Thanks for looking out for me. Much appreciated:thumb2:
Ian - The paint has arrived and we are off and running - sort of:disappointed:

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Steve - I would have thought that any of those types of putty would sag under normal conditions. Part of their 'fun' aspect is that they are always malleable. Cooling it right down sounds like it would cure the sag - probably best to do a spray test on a piece of scrap then try sticking it in the fridge/freezer to see what happens to the putty and paint with the temperature and moisture

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Simon - I had second thoughts as paint drying in a fridge doesn't sound good. So I bit the bullet and added the last two coats at the same time. During the process, which took a couple of hours, the putty started to sag but nothing that caused any problems. Do you know if Panzer Putty or any other putty sags over time??

Last edited:
B

Brad9826

Steve,
Great work with the camo, and looks like you got lucky with the putty sag.

Last edited by a moderator:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Steve - PP looks like similar stuff but with a harder consistency so it doesn't settle as fast as the silly putty versions

Found this on you tube

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Brad - Cheers my friend. You cant beat a bit of sag:thumb2:
Mr T - Many thanks for that. It certainly looks like the stuff I need. The Xmas list is getting longer by the week:smiling3:

Last edited:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Great paint work Steve. After your thread discussion with JR you could hear the sound of sewing boxes being padlocked all over the world :smiling2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve .
After all the stress of the putty and failing an the finished paint doesn't lo OK too bad .

The sagging was caused no doubt by the thickness of the putty you were using.
Remember my 1/72 plane ? The Russian one. I used the Panzer Putty for that. Put on really thin. Would recommend it, not cheap, but neither are the models so think its a good buy. Might use it on the Sturm !
Going to look for some nylon, which was developed in 1935, slightly older than me !
JR

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Mike - Great banter mate. Luv it:smiling3:
JR - Its amazing all the uses for Panzer Putty there are. I will certainly be getting some as soon as poss.:thumb2:
Scottie - A bit stressful at times but as you say all good in the end and a lot learnt

Last edited: