Airspeed Horsa Glider 6th Airborne mount on D-Day

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I was worried the large canopy would reveal the weights that were added in the cockpit but it didn't.

23.jpg 24.jpg

The canopy wasn't that hard to mask...a layer of interior green was sprayed. This would show on the inside.

25.jpg 26.jpg

Next the D-Day markings...masking.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great update Richard. Look forward to seeing those white stripes.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve, thanks. The D-Day stripes were painted within 24 hrs of the invasion...faster than me replying with the anticipated images...deeply sorry it's taken so long.

I always prefer applying invasion stripes first before painting the whole aircraft to avoid major masking. You will notice that I cut the masking tape stripes freehand to mimick hand painted stripes that were hurriedly done just the day before the invasion with whatever was available to slap it on including brooms. White goes on first and masked...

27.jpg 28.jpg29.jpg 29a.jpg

Then black was applied...I thinned the remainder of the black paint to preshade and paint over the canopy to add more opaqueness to the frames.

30.jpg 31.jpg32.jpg 33.jpg

Camo colours next...

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steve...roger wilco.

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice work on the Horsa Richard, neat how you stuffed the weights in to avoid it being a tail sitter.:thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard.
Watch Steve, he's got a thing with camo, he's being going on to me about my Sturmtiger.
I can imagine a giant dio with loads of your figures embarking onto a plane, too big I know.
That masking of the cockpit is an art form in its own right!
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys, thanks...I noticed that D-Day subject seem to resonate with quite a few.

Fernando, one way is to dry fit and tape all the back ends then fill as much weight and using a dowel as a balance placed under the fuselage where the aligned main undercarriage would be until it tips forward confidently then I lock down all weights with CA or UHU glue.
John, yes keeping an eye on Steve. The imagined dio would be too big an operation. :tongue-out3:
Ian, glad you caught up.
Peter, you make me blush :flushed:

Camoflage it is then... I roughly sprayed a layer of earth brown then...

34.jpg 35.jpg

...tracing out the camo pattern paper masks, I tacked it with blu-tac and sprayed the green.

36.jpg 37.jpg

Once that was done I masked the top part of the Horsa to paint the black underside. Some paint peeled on removal of the masking but was corrected easily.

38.jpg 39.jpg

A layer of Future was sprayed overall and not just the areas for decalling to get an even shade as the Humbrol matt paint tended to darken or absorb the varnish.

40.jpg 42.jpg
41.jpg It was set aside to cure after I glued the side access door. Thanks for joining the camo ride..:smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Superb Richard

And braille scale too

Very well done

Regards

Steve H

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks guys for the kind comments...now for more...

Thin wire braces were added to both the access doors. Dark wash was applied, gloss varnish and decals and a coating of matt varnish proceeded.

44.jpg 45.jpg 46.jpg 47.jpg

The varnish didn't totally matt the surface but gave it a satin feel which I liked. Care was taken to mask the canopy when varnishing.

48.jpg 49a.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Paul,

If I'm not mistaken Italeri has given the markings for one of the aircraft involved with Operation Deadstick which I have applied. The Horsa is one of the iconic planes I associate with D-Day along with the stripes. And it has nice lines.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Lovely work. Your masking is always so neat and well planned and it works :smiling2: Canopy has worked a treat. Preshade looks good. To keep a preshade does need a delicate touch on the airbrush trigger - something I still need to master!
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Much prettier than WACO. Ugly as an old shoe. PaulE