Al's Kanonen Vogel

B

bikerbart

Gutted for you mate, after all that hard work as well, you will over come it mate, us modellers are a very versatile bunch and where there's a will.........Hope it turns around for ya mate, you deserve it, all the best Martin :smiling:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Al

That's a real shame - the splinter camo was looking nice. It can be fixed though with some very careful fine wet and dry (used wet and once the paint has fully cured) smoothing out locally around effected areas. Then, dodge the splinter scheme back in using post-it notes as localised masking. It can be done with a bit of patience and a great deal of care. I feel for you mate.

Hope you get it sorted.

Paul

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. Have to say it knocked the wind out of me a little. It was Tamiya tape is was using but it did seem quite sticky. I normally lay it on my desk before i put it onto the aircraft to help remove it's grip. Still undecided as to what to do. Might give the respray a go first to see if it'll look ok.

F

Fenlander

Try masking off the good bits and just respray the areas affected. I have been lucky so far and had little damage caused by masking tape. While doing the ME109 I was panicking when the 'bundle' started to get unwrapped if I would end up pulling paint off. One of those "either it does ore it doesn't" situations. Never a good thing though. Just step back and think it through, don't make snap decisions...

R

rogue-one

ohhh man! thats heavy! sometimes it might be better to use cheap masking tape for that, coz its not very sticky stuff. i've used tape for that kind of thing on art and i found cheap tape is great for it.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well here it is after some repairs and the top chevrons painted on. Still not perfect but if i'm honest i've given up and will paint the damaged areas that are left with the snow scheme. Only question i have is can i klear the model now and still paint acrylic over it or is that a no no?

F

Fenlander

As far as I know you can. I was given the tip of spraying awkward masking with Klear first so that if there is any bleed, the Klear will fill it and not show if it gets under the tape. Then spray over with the colour knowing the holes are plugged. I have done it once and there was no ill effects noticeable.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ok i continued with it even though i've had a disaster with the paint. Just got to paint on the yellow ring around the fuselarge and add the aircraft code letters and then it's time to paint the winter scheme. I'll add the cannons after the winter scheme is finished

C

Caledonia

Hi Allyne, sorry to hear about your problem, maybe some heavy weathering to simulate worn paint might help, and give the model a more 3D effect. i'm sure you'll overcome it, that's part of modelling. Cheers Derek

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Derek. Most of the 'damage' will in fact be covered by the winter scheme. So it's worked out just fine lol.

Here it is with all the decals on now. Next to do is the blue-tak masking for the winter scheme.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's looking very nice. How are you masking for the winter camo?

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I've done quite a bit of looking around on google and i've found this scheme that i like http://www.39-45strategie.com/fileadmin/images/39-45/Unites_historiques/Stuka_et_He_51/ju87G-2_profil.JPG

I was going to roll some blue-tak into thin lines and then apply it crazy paving style lol. You think that would work?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks cool and I don't see why it wouldn't work. Good luck with the spraying.

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Steve. Regarding the white wash weathering. It was applied quite thin wasn't it? Thus making it not pure white? Was just wondering whether to mist the white on or add a little light grey to it to make it look weathered

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It varied quite a bit. Some aircraft were supplied in "winter whites" and had a very professional job. I've not seen a Ju87 like this but they must have existed,I've seen a couple of very smart white Ju88s. Others were done at operational airfields and these vary considerably. I don't think I've seen two aircraft that look the same!

The paints they used seem to have weathered quite quickly and I think you'd be quite correct to tone it down a little and mist it on fairly lightly. Maybe allow for low traffic/wear areas to be a bit less worn and whiter.

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Steve. I'll see what i can do with it then :smiling3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Half way through and i think i'm going boz-eyed lol. Time for a refreshing break. Now where did i put my bottle of Talisker? :twisted:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ok i finished it off after a few 'medicinal' drinks....just to help me relax... honest guv'nor

Now onto painting it. Think i'll do the white first then add the dirtier white after.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Allyne, I am learning so much from you aircraft wallahs. Being a brush only person, it's great to watch how you guys achieve spray on cammo effects. How you have the patience with or without Talisker is amazing!

Puts me in mind of the present Mrs. Ron's first attempt at using icing to write happy birthday on a cake.lol

I await the unveiling.

Ron

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Paint scheme done and i'm well pleased with it. Not brilliant white and in my opinion wethered just enough. The only real problem i've had is the decals. They were cracking up when i applied them and they've fallen apart when unmasking (after 3 coats of klear as well). So i'm going to have to try and paint them on. Shouldn't be too hard to make up a mask for them. Here are the pics with the decals all messed up. But at least the paint looks ok

Last edited by a moderator: