always a first time for everything

S

Stevekir

Clever stuff! If Iried to model a horse's head it would end up looking like a fish! As an observer of figure modelling of any type (carved from scratch) it is particularly difficult to gety the anatomy right. Legs pointing in a natural direction; growing accurately out of the hip which is hidden but that doesn't help. We are all so used to how a human figure looks (and also animals) that the slightest error is immediately noticeable - think of manequins in shop windows! I will look out for how you model the rider's legs.

By the way, what has happened to the spell checker? Didn't we use to have one? If so, its not working, at least not me.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That head is fantastic. (necks a bit thin though :rolleyes: lol )

I bet that the horses that you have painted over the past must help a lot in seeing the shape.

Good to see that you are posting again. I too will be watching this one.

Mr Kir, the spell checker is browser based. so nowt to do with the forum- On the bright side it could be that the absence of red squiggles under words as you type, must be a sign that you have after all the years learned to spell! (and before fighting begins, it was meant as a joke. I myself spell like carp).

Ian M

P

Paul P

Cheers guys for all the great comments

Steve i always think getting the anatomy right is the most important thing, same with figure painting get the face right and the figure will look good, get it wrong and :sad:

Ian as i said whenever i sculpt anything i have loads of reference pictures around from various angles, for the horse i have pics of the bone structure and musculature, it all helps

Heres a few more pics of the progresion, i have continualy been altering the head, changing the shape, ive bulked out the top of the head and narrowed the eyes, the nose will have a bit of alteration as well

View attachment 121763

View attachment 121764

View attachment 121765

also started to add a few more straps,

DSCF4472.jpg

DSCF4472.jpg

DSCF4474.jpg

First Name
Marc
Out of interest Paul. What material have you used to make the head? Awseome work

P

Paul P

cheers Marc its called sculpy putty, its a polymer clay thats hardened by putting it in the oven

D

Deleted member 3568

Wow, what else can I say, I mean, wow, it's just, well um er, wow, have I said that before, wow cor blimey mate, that is just incredibly wow inducing.

P

Paul P

WOW Cheers KP :smiling3:

Well just about finished the head, the bridle was more intricate than I thought and the chain on the top was a complete pain to do

View attachment 122113

View attachment 122114

View attachment 122115

View attachment 122116

View attachment 122117

the strap under the neck that has the rings on will have some real metal rings on when its done, and I still have the rein bits to make which I'm not quite sure how to do yet, but apart form that I'm pleased with the result so far. So just the horse body, saddle, stirrups, and legs for the rider simples :sad:

DSCF4484.jpg

DSCF4485.jpg

DSCF4486.jpg

DSCF4487.jpg

DSCF4488.jpg

D

Deleted member 4203

It looks fantastic so far Paul :D :eek: I saw this when you started it but I've decided it'd be a shame to miss it and have decided to watch it as it unfolds :D ;) Also, will you ever be revisiting your thread in 'Figure Building Master Class' at any point? :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
do like the look of the bridle,so nice and fancy,with all theses tussles /felt edging and a nice rossetti ;)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
WOW Cheers KP :smiling3:
Well just about finished the head, the bridle was more intricate than I thought and the chain on the top was a complete pain to do

View attachment 133946

View attachment 133947

View attachment 133948

View attachment 133949

View attachment 133950

the strap under the neck that has the rings on will have some real metal rings on when its done, and I still have the rein bits to make which I'm not quite sure how to do yet, but apart form that I'm pleased with the result so far. So just the horse body, saddle, stirrups, and legs for the rider simples :sad:
that is looking just great,real nice fine work,so much detail, :D worth all your hard work, :smiling3:

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Paul first of all great to see you on the forum again I enjoyed you chariot in a past build , your work is world class , scratch building is very hard getting proportions right and you are spot on ,by the way of a ? what is the material you are using .

P

Paul P

Cheers Blair many thanks, and the answer is yes, i would love to get back to it

Moni always a pleasure to hear from you

Steve many thanks, youve just reminded me to get the chariot finished :sad: , there are 3 types of material that i use, milliput, sculpey putty and sculpey firm, the horse so far is sculpey putty, i normally get it off evil bay, its about £12 for a 1kg block