Another Zwarte Zee 1933 tug restoration

T

Trike man

Hi everyone. I would like to share my restoration project with you. The boat was built by my Dad in 1957, in Nigeria. I remember (aged 10) helping with making small items and rubbing down!

It was shipped back to UK and has sat,unused, ever since. A few weeks ago I decided it was time to put it back on the water.

It had a 12v taycol super marine motor and needs lots of ballast! I shall now R/C it. The boat has suffered a bit of damage during its life and I 'm busy repairing and preparing for painting.

I came across this site whilst doing some research and have had some chat and assistance from

John Huggins. I'm not a modeller, but have a history of building custom street rod cars and trikes, and I'm finding it hard to make small things! I've checked out several of the build threads on the site and am really impressed with the skill and results produced by other members!

I didn't want to hijack Johns tugboat thread so I've started my own, seeing as I'm going to need your help.

I've put lots of undercoat on, prior to spraying rubbing down, then primer/topcoat. I'm going to use satin Rustoleum.

Any advice....let me know! Thanks, Dave Craig.

View attachment 85224

View attachment 85225

View attachment 85226

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Dave. Always nice to have a personal connection to a subject.

T

Trike man

Thanks guys. Spent the afternoon repairing and making stanchions from brass rod and cotter pins...hard work!

My next task is to repaint the various elevations on the superstructure. Just carefully brush painting I suppose, it's too late to do any airbrushing. Oh, and also made a new lifeboat david.Dave.

View attachment 85271

View attachment 85272

image.jpg

image.jpg

P

Polux

Looking good ;)

Someday I will built a boat....I like the touch and the warmly of the wood :rolleyes:

Very nice work so far.

J

John Huggins

Hi Dave just had a look at the plains & both masts lean 5 Deg's to the stern.

Hope this helps.

John

T

Trike man

Thanks John....just returned from a week in Madeira....time to get back to building!

T

Trike man

Hello again! I got so involved with the project that I forgot to update the blog! The boat has been finished for a month or two now and I take it regularly to the local boating lake in Saltwell Park, Gateshead. I can keep adding bits now and then..a towing hook/bracket is needed really- perhaps John could post a detail from his plan?

I've bought another boat from eBay, see picture, a PT boat. Scratch built I think, but really goes well on the water! I've had a look on the web but my layout doesn't fit with any that I have seen...perhaps just poetic licence by the builder! I've bought a set of 6 scale crewmen for it...they have to be assembled and painted naturally!

Also, have started building a Victorian steam launch from plans. The hull is taking shape at the mo. Will not be steam powered though-the steam engine ( home built by me ) will be electrically driven at 130 rpm. Again pics enclosed.

View attachment 93620

View attachment 93621

View attachment 93622

View attachment 93623

View attachment 93624

View attachment 93625

View attachment 93626

View attachment 93627

View attachment 93628

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

J

John Huggins

Hi again Dave i'll take a look at the plans & see what I can do, as far as I can remember she has two tow hooks aft, yours looks well cool & well made.

will post pic's tomorrow.

John