Any one built this model ship?

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I have built it and it's not a bad kit but if it were me I would go with the academy titanic the quality is that bit better.

First Name
Steve
Hi Steve there's a chance you may see one at the show on Sunday either built or as a kit.

Steve.

S

Stevekir

There are so many stands at the show, can anyone suggest names of some sellers likely to sell the Academy Titanic kit?

Thanks.

S

Stevekir

Well, not finding the Academy 1:400 Titanic at the show, I have bought it. It arrived today Tuesday (24 hours after ordering via ordinary post!). It is the most complex kit I could have ever imagined. It is very highly detailed and has about 20 to 30 times the number of parts of my biggest kit so far. Its overall length is two feet. As a perfectionist slow worker, will I finish it by Christmas? Hopefully. I will start a thread in Ships Under Construction once I've made some progress.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I found this if it helps in finding the colours

Attachments

• paint_list_scale_equivalents.pdf
    503 KB · Views: 16
S

Stevekir

I found this if it helps in finding the colours
Thanks. Really helpful.

One thing: the original Titanic and also kits (including the one that I will be making) has lots of lines (ropes) to secure the funnels and other parts. The manual mentions using pulled out softened sprue for these, but on the same page uses the word "Thread". I assume that Sprue and Thread refer to the same rigging material and that "Thread" doesn't refer to, for example, sewing thread.

Is that correct please?

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Thanks. Really helpful.

One thing: the original Titanic and also kits (including the one that I will be making) has lots of lines (ropes) to secure the funnels and other parts. The manual mentions using pulled out softened sprue for these, but on the same page uses the word "Thread". I assume that Sprue and Thread refer to the same rigging material and that "Thread" doesn't refer to, for example, sewing thread.

Is that correct please?
I have always used grey coloured sewing thread on mine as I don't think pulled out sure would give flexibility needed.
This my academy 1\400 titanic with the sewing thread as the rigging.P1040180.JPG

M

Mydknight

I've just ordered the 1:400 Titanic by Academy.
It looks fantastic. I can't wait to crack open the bix.

Attachments

• 212632413.jpeg.jpg
    212632413.jpeg.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 9
  • 212632406.jpeg.jpg
    212632406.jpeg.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 9

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Steve - this stuff may be a better more scale like option than cotton thread

Mig Rigging

Haven't used it personally but it looks the part in pictures

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Steve
Ez line is the same stuff and is cheaper.....I’ve used it for biplanes.
It is elasticated so always looks taught, sticks well with CA glue, and survives knocks etc really well as it gives rather than breaks. Similar stuff is made by Uschi. This pages shows it in use....
Hope these help...John may stock them as well, worth a check because you can use your membership voucher....
Cheers
Tim

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7181

It's been a year so maybe he has found something by now.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
LOL, only looked at the date on the last post....might be useful to someone else though.....:smiling4: