Any takers for a 1/16 SIG?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
As I've mentioned before the upgrades, after market parts, scratch building possibilities and paint jobs make a Heng Long modification a really interesting build. This isn't mine but it shows what can be done:
View attachment 130125

View attachment 130126

View attachment 130127
Your right Richard it does look good but you'd think for the price the aftermarket stuff could have been included , I wonder what the actual extra outlay is to make it look good

This is the reason I stopped making battleships

D

dougie

\ said:
Your right Richard it does look good but you'd think for the price the aftermarket stuff could have been included , I wonder what the actual extra outlay is to make it look good
This is the reason I stopped making battleships
It's very hard to make choices at times. I've now built up a good collection of cars that I don't want to miss out on, some have cost a fair few pennies and the aftermarket gear is not cheap either.

The other day I ordered a few 3d printed parts for my studio scale millennium falcon subscription and they came to £130 ish. I could have spent way more but I weighed up the cost versus quality versus scale and decided to save the extra for something else. I've had so little work this year I can't justify much and a baby is on the way. This was a big outlay.

In my old jobs I'd only be able to afford the cheapest of kits and paints so I am very aware of the value of things to me and in general.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
It's very hard to make choices at times. I've now built up a good collection of cars that I don't want to miss out on, some have cost a fair few pennies and the aftermarket gear is not cheap either.
The other day I ordered a few 3d printed parts for my studio scale millennium falcon subscription and they came to £130 ish. I could have spent way more but I weighed up the cost versus quality versus scale and decided to save the extra for something else. I've had so little work this year I can't justify much and a baby is on the way. This was a big outlay.

In my old jobs I'd only be able to afford the cheapest of kits and paints so I am very aware of the value of things to me and in general.
There's buying add ons to make a different variant but having to buy things to make a kit look like it should is wrong IMO that should be in the kit you buy

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
About £50?! That equates to 50 bottles of good British beer from L**L....I'll pass thanks! ;)
Ah but you won't wake up with a bad head all day Ron, but I can see your point

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
\ said:
This lovely car and the figure are acceptable John!!
You are in, then? :smiling3:
I can promise you the figure as an entry to your sig but will have to make a final decision on the car after I've dug it out to see how much work is involved. Thanks John

D

dougie

\ said:
There's buying add ons to make a different variant but having to buy things to make a kit look like it should is wrong IMO that should be in the kit you buy
That... Is a very good point!

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
Alan I think that is missing the point with the Heng Long stuff. In their most basic of forms they are toys and were originally, and indeed still are, sold as such. They are not sold as hobby model kits There is still a market for them as toys and there are many quite happy to buy the most basic of models to play with out of the box. In this form they are pretty cheap and entertain a lot of kids (and adults!).

However the aftermarket stuff has developed at quite a pace as a result of incredible demand from modellers who see a way of building a very decent scale model from one of these toys. The best can easily compare with the 600.00 pound plus offerrings from Tamiya so in that respect can be seen as very cost effective. I personally see them as a great opportunity to create a very realistic RC model tank at a very reasonable price. You can buy as much aftermarket stuff as you want or put in as much scratchbuilding as you want, the choice is yours. You can also do nothing more than a complete repaint, which can also achieve some fairly impressive results and give a lot of modelling satisfaction and you can pick up the basic toy for around 50.00 pounds. Most people wouldn't think that too bad for a good scale 1/16th replica. The guy that built the one I showed earlier in this thread digs out plastic around the turret edges, fills it with putty and presses a tool into it to create the heavy welding so well known on this construction so there really are plenty of modeling opportunities.

As with everything it is each to their own but it is not fair to critisise Heng Long products for requiring aftermarket bits to make them into a model when they are not sold as such.

D

dougie

\ said:
Alan I think that is missing the point with the Heng Long stuff. In their most basic of forms they are toys and were originally, and indeed still are, sold as such. They are not sold as hobby model kits There is still a market for them as toys and there are many quite happy to buy the most basic of models to play with out of the box. In this form they are pretty cheap and entertain a lot of kids (and adults!).
However the aftermarket stuff has developed at quite a pace as a result of incredible demand from modellers who see a way of building a very decent scale model from one of these toys. The best can easily compare with the 600.00 pound plus offerrings from Tamiya so in that respect can be seen as very cost effective. I personally see them as a great opportunity to create a very realistic RC model tank at a very reasonable price. You can buy as much aftermarket stuff as you want or put in as much scratchbuilding as you want, the choice is yours. You can also do nothing more than a complete repaint, which can also achieve some fairly impressive results and give a lot of modelling satisfaction and you can pick up the basic toy for around 50.00 pounds. Most people wouldn't think that too bad for a good scale 1/16th replica. The guy that built the one I showed earlier in this thread digs out plastic around the turret edges, fills it with putty and presses a tool into it to create the heavy welding so well known on this construction so there really are plenty of modeling opportunities.

As with everything it is each to their own but it is not fair to critisise Heng Long products for requiring aftermarket bits to make them into a model when they are not sold as such.
Another good point of view, I didn't personally realise this was the case here but there are a few model kits where I definitely agree with Alan as well. I'd rather pay a bit more for more details and decide what I want to include or not

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:

You make a good point about improving toys Richard and about each to their own if they wish to buy aftermarket but my point is a valid one about kit makers releasing a kit that very basic in the hope of selling aftermarket bits ,

I love building warships but what you have to spend on aftermarket to get things hand rails which should be in the kit is wrong , to build a great warship you could spend more than the kit costs

Also once these extras are painted you can't tell the difference anyway the only way you will know is if you both side by side to show the difference

As you say it's personal choice and I don't think it's wrong if you want to go down that route but for me if its not in the kit I won't , that's my personal choice

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
I'm seriously thinking to catch one of these!!
You know if the tracks are metal?

Thanks

Polux
Polux, this particular one has metal tracks.but the metal options are as wide as your preference or your pocket. You can actually buy complete metal hulls and turrets but they are expensive. Reasonable upgrades are metal tracks and gearboxes, some add metal suspension arms and metal road wheels for a more realistic movement over terrain. On top just about every item could be considered for upgrades if you wish. Towing wires can either be purchased or manufactured from braided cable and heat shrink for thimbles and tools can either be purchased in metal or scratchbuilt. Just have a look on eBay for the metal replacement parts but don't fall into the trap of getting carried away. Some items may not actually be better than the original when painted up anyway.

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
You make a good point about improving toys Richard and about each to their own if they wish to buy aftermarket but my point is a valid one about kit makers releasing a kit that very basic in the hope of selling aftermarket bits ,
I love building warships but what you have to spend on aftermarket to get things hand rails which should be in the kit is wrong , to build a great warship you could spend more than the kit costs

Also once these extras are painted you can't tell the difference anyway the only way you will know is if you both side by side to show the difference

As you say it's personal choice and I don't think it's wrong if you want to go down that route but for me if its not in the kit I won't , that's my personal choice
Just to add another angle to an interesting discussion. If I was a beginner I might appreciate a kit that was more at my level rather than pay a lot of money over the top for stuff that I would not want to include anyway. Keeping the PE and resin bits out would allow me to buy the kit at a more appropriate cost to me and buying the extra detail would enable the more advanced modellers to add what they wanted as well.

I think maybe the bottom line is really that some kits are just very expensive anyway and the added detail makes them even more so. There again there will always be those modellers for who the contents of a kit just have to be improved upon to make their model that bit better than anyone elses!

I actually believe that scratchbuilding is becoming more and more underrated in this modern world of PE, resin bits and even paints that almost do the work for you. (I remember when laying down a perfect gloss finish in enamel was quite an achievement to be proud of!) and I must say that I enjoy seeing Alan's scratchbuilt creativity just as much as I do seeing the latest stunning pre-painted PE details that demand not much more than a sharp eye and a knowledge of which cyano to use.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Just to add another angle to an interesting discussion. If I was a beginner I might appreciate a kit that was more at my level rather than pay a lot of money over the top for stuff that I would not want to include anyway. Keeping the PE and resin bits out would allow me to buy the kit at a more appropriate cost to me and buying the extra detail would enable the more advanced modellers to add what they wanted as well.
I think maybe the bottom line is really that some kits are just very expensive anyway and the added detail makes them even more so. There again there will always be those modellers for who the contents of a kit just have to be improved upon to make their model that bit better than anyone elses!

I actually believe that scratchbuilding is becoming more and more underrated in this modern world of PE, resin bits and even paints that almost do the work for you. (I remember when laying down a perfect gloss finish in enamel was quite an achievement to be proud of!) and I must say that I enjoy seeing Alan's scratchbuilt creativity just as much as I do seeing the latest stunning pre-painted PE details that demand not much more than a sharp eye and a knowledge of which cyano to use.
I don't think I can argue any point you've made there Richard :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Polux

Has the SIG been set up yet?

I will start this weekend and it would be good to start the thread in it's 'proper home'.

Cheers

P

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
BTW, that is a nice Tiger Richard. It takes me a back to my RC Tiger build.

Cheers

P

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
BTW, that is a nice Tiger Richard. It takes me a back to my RC Tiger build.
Cheers

P
Built by a gent in Canvey Island, he has made some superb examples of Tigers and Panzers.

P

Polux

\ said:
Hi Polux
Has the SIG been set up yet?

I will start this weekend and it would be good to start the thread in it's 'proper home'.

Cheers

P
Hi Paul.

I asked Ian if he can open the new thread ( I cannot do it :smiling3: ).

I suppose there will be no problem to start this weekend!

I have an unexpected project now!! In two days I will confirm if I will join in as well.

I'm wishing to be with all you on this adventure ;)

Polux

P

Polux

Hello all!!

Thank you very much to Ian that has opened the thread :smiling3:

If you are interested to join in, the general 1/16 scale chat is ready on the 2015 SIG forum ;)

You can start to open your threads.

(As always.... subject, art box and sprues.)

Good luck guys!!

Please you can continue talking about this great models that Richard has showed :smiling3:

Polux