Any tips for painting seat belts?

First Name
Alex
I'm currently working on a helicopter and realised i've never really had to worry about seatbelts before since i've either had a pilot or the seat just didn't have any.

Currently i'm using a cocktail stick to paint the seat belts and then using the dry end to trim back the over spill of the paint, I'm using water based acrylic paint.

Is there an easier way? would dry brushing work?

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
If It were me I always sand them off and get PE ones as I just can't paint them but I would say its just down to a steady hand or have you tried masking them

First Name
Alex
lol now i understand why so many modellers buy PE seat belts! I might try some maskol and see if that works, i'm not sure my tamiya masking tape is going to work for such a small area

First Name
colin
Alex if your using acrylics try sealing the seat with varnish then if you get paint on them while doing the straps you can wipe it off with a cotton bud and water

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
What scale are we talking here? Fine paintbrush and some magnifying headgear works for me

First Name
Alex
Its 1:72 scale. I got paid today so might pop down my local model shop and buy a very fine paint brush

First Name
Alex
Ok so here's my finished result, i think it's just about passable. I ended up putting a clear satin coat on the seat

20170825_184417_fg5xfm.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It's sometimes easier to paint the belts before the seat (I've done belts and straps on 1/72 figures that way). That's because you only have one edge to worry about when painting the seat. With narrow belts, you need to watch both edges at the same time and it's easy to stray with the back edge of the brush.