Apollo command and service modules scratch build

baz

SMF Poster
Hi every one,
with the 50th aniversery coming up next year I thought that I would have a go at some real space builds just for a change, here is one of my first attempts at a REAL space subject I hope you like it please be honest as this will help me make better models in the future, it is all built from palstic sheet with a couple of bits from my bits box to add detail to the sim bay (scientific instrument module ) located in the side of the service module. Please excuse the painting ( not my best thing ) but it has turned out ok.

regards Barrie ( the old guy ) hell I was watching them live landing on the moon, that's OLD

Attachments

Jim R

SMF Poster
First Name
Jim
Hi Baz
Looks great to me. A very good piece of scratch model making. Did you work from plans of some sort.
Jim

yak face

First Name
tony
Superb barrie , fantastic work. Are you going to have a crack at the lunar module too , not forgetting the lunar rover! Cheers tony

baz

SMF Poster
Thank you both for your kind comments,
the plastic glass ( sourced at sainsburys ) was used for the engine just the right shape and size for a model, and YES I will be attempting to make the lunar module and the lunar rover and with a bit of luck a VERY BIG Saturn v rocket, but thats for a few months ahead as I have to build a klingon Vorcha craft for my friend in Greece. Keep watching this space ( sorry about the pun ).

regards Barrie ( the old guy )

Attachments

Peter Day

SMF Poster
First Name
Peter
Very impressive work Barrie.

I remember seeing the Apollo 10 command module in the Science Museum in London and thinking that it had a distinctly hand-made look.

baz

SMF Poster
Thank you everyone,
the only drawing I worked from was this a four sized sheet I printed of the good old net then studied loads of pics of the real thing and also had the use of the excellent Haynes manuals on Apollo 11 and 13 and the lunar rover.

Attachments

rtfoe

SMF Poster
First Name
Richard
Excellent scratch work on the Command Module, Barrie. At seven I too watched it on Telly.

Cheers,
Richard

baz

SMF Poster
Thanks for the kind comments Richard,
I was 15 at the time and still remember it all, the days before there was loads of shows about the build up the Apollo equipment loads of great big models of the rocket and lunar modules a great moment in world history and to be able to watch it live on tv as they stepped out onto the surface BRILLIANT.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
First Name
Si.
As always Barrie, your scratch made spacecraft are always a source of wonderment, and this is no exception-in fact it it more poignant for me as my father helped develop the film used in the cameras for the Apollo spacecraft and on the Moon.