Ardenne Winter

F

Fenlander

I have the germ of an idea for a diorama from around the Battle of the Buldge.

I got this after much searching but, sadly, it has a major moulding fault

ardennes%20street.jpg

This fault is a raised line running up the height of the front which has damaged the brick and stone detail. This is worse than it looks in the picture.

image_1.jpe

My first thought was to return it but it was the last one in stock so I decided to try and sort it. If all else fails, it will have ivy crawling up the wall to cover it :D

My first thought was to put a Sherman on the base but I fancied something a bit more compact and a bit different.

A quick search in the stash uncovered this which fits the bill perfectly. It will be moving ammunition and supplies rather than towing a gun which would not fit on the base, I want this to be quite compact.

image.jpe

Of course, it will need some figures and a dusting of snow so this is going to introduce me to some new techniques.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Wetting my appetite

I'll be following this with great interest

Regards

Robert

D

dubster72

Shame about the casting fault after all your efforts to find the kit Graham :sad:

But the M4 tractor is an unusual & interesting choice :smiling3:

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Shame about the casting fault after all your efforts to find the kit Graham :sad:
But the M4 tractor is an unusual & interesting choice :smiling3:
All part of the modelling experience Patrick ;) I have cut it down the fault and used a scraper to create a thin edge on both parts.

image_4.jpe

I then stuck plastic strip to the edge of the join and glued the two halves together again. Three pieces of brass tube have been superglued to the back to prevent it flexing.

image_3.jpe

This appears to have made it worse but I can now fill the gap and carve back in the brick and stone detail when all the cement and superglue has fully cured. This could not be done without cutting as the raised fault had to go.

image_2.jpe

The M4 tractor was used at the time and it is a compact vehicle with loads of detail, the kit has an interior and engine which can be seen through the photo etch grills. Sadly the kit has no figures but my two GIs (faces being re painted as they were not good enough) will be stepping to one side to let it through and, someone does a resin driver and crew member for the cab if I can find them again. Dragon also do a nice 101st Airborne in the long coats which could be used, again, if I can find some.

So yeh, lot going into a small space but I really need to confirm I can use the building and finish off the UHU diorama before I start buying for it. Still very much in the design stage.

P

Polux

I love the winter scenes Graham, so I will keep an eye on this one ;)

Last edited:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this will be very interesting Graham,will be keeping an eye on you,

I do like the brick/stone work of a miniart kit, ;) :smiling3:

I see your way of adding to it,

what I do is run cardboard,strips down and around windows/doors,about 9mm

or so on each side then join them,as you use pegs and glue all joins and then fill as needed, :D

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
put a battered drain pipe/gutter to hide the top bit......some rubble or boxes or something to hide the bottom bit

F

Fenlander

\ said:
put a battered drain pipe/gutter to hide the top bit......some rubble or boxes or something to hide the bottom bit
I did think of that but it isn't straight enough and follows window edges the cuts across the brickwork if the upper window. Hence the backup plan of ivy growing up the wall:smiling3:

I will have a bash at re modelling the join this weekend.

F

Fenlander

oddly, if you look closely at the box artwork, there is a ghost of a line in exactly the same place. Must have been an issue from the start. I will have to try and find pictures of a completed one.

D

Deleted member 4539

I'll be following this Graham.

Shame about the building,but I know you'll sort it out.

It looks like a telephone wire of some sort.

F

Fenlander

\ said:
I'll be following this Graham.
Shame about the building,but I know you'll sort it out.

It looks like a telephone wire of some sort.
Weirdly, the picture showing the fault makes it look a lot better than it is! I wish I could get that effect when I take pictures of my figures ;)

It looks as though it was pulled apart while hot and then shoved back together leaving a melted ridge on the brickwork and a hollow at least 3mm deep at the back. Even if I had just sanded the ridge it would have fallen apart. But, I am optimistic :D

N

noble

Graham regarding the line try applying dried tea leaves up across the line, the once dry paint green to make an ivy plant.

Scott

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Graham regarding the line try applying dried tea leaves up across the line, the once dry paint green to make an ivy plant.
Scott
That may be my get out clause Scott:D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
You could also use the slight gap and run some thin wire down to represent a telegraph cable.

F

Fenlander

Well, it is all back in one piece and although the fault line is still visible, it does actually look like battle damage as in a fault line in the building. Has caused loads of aligbement issues as the front piece now does not match the rear but it is sorted to a near enough standard.

image_5.jpe

I can now concentrate on it being part of the whole diorama but that will be in a separate build thread.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4539

You've done a great job sorting the seam.As you say looks like damage.

F

Fenlander

Cheers Ralph, it would probably have been quicker to scratch build it lol