Atomic Annie.

First Name
Gregg
Finally got around to opening up the many polythene bags out of a rather large box.

Initial impressions were 'A lot of parts in here' then I took a closer look!

Unfortunately this kit shows it's age with plenty of flash, injection marks sinkage etc.

Variations in amounts of detail, some areas quite good, many areas very bland.

The crew look like extras from 'The Walking Dead' that is where they will remain.

As I have already seen some finished examples, and heard of the pitfalls/omissions, there are plenty of areas for improvement.

As I have always wanted to build one of these since being a little kid, I don't intend to go down the 'must be authentic route' and take months to build. Just a steady build and half decent paint job I hope.

On removing the cab parts from the distorted sprue's (another fault) I found the roof/body joints will need some work, and the cab interior is sparse to say the least.

View attachment 81127

View attachment 81128

View attachment 81129

View attachment 81130

View attachment 81131

View attachment 81132

View attachment 81133

View attachment 81134

Flash (3).JPG

Automaton.JPG

Automaton (2).JPG

Chassis (2).JPG

Cab Floor.JPG

Cab 2.JPG

Cab 3.JPG

Wheels Wheels & More Wheels.JPG

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I too have looked at this kit and have been intrigued by it...it does look bad though, although I am sure you can sort it. I think you are right leave the figures alone, they look like they have been on the other end of the gun than firing it.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Gregg
Anyone got ideas on how to replicate footplate grill, as I want to change the poor plastic footplates on this kit!

Thanks

Gregg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
And the challenge begins.

If the grating you are after is square mesh, the pound shop can probably come up with a set of sieves/tea strainers that can be cut up for that.

If they are diamond plate, You can buy that is sheet from model shops.

Ian M

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
that is a lot of wheels ,good luck with the build I will sit in if you don't mind

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
here is a good sit for info Gregg http://www.theatomiccannon.com/

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
And the challenge begins.If the grating you are after is square mesh, the pound shop can probably come up with a set of sieves/tea strainers that can be cut up for that.

Ian M
Thanks for that Ian, popping into my local pound shop today. Luckily open all weekend here.

Will let you know what I find.

Gregg

First Name
Gregg
[here is a good sit for info Gregg http://www.theatomiccannon.com/

Thanks for the info Steve.

I had already downloaded Wimm Vinks build and purchased the Paul Gaertner's scale plans when I purchased the kit.

It was reading their builds, that I realised that I had looked in wonder at it all those years ago, through childhood eyes..

I spent so long building my Boote, I have decided to build Annie almost out of the box, with a few extra details added.

There are several sites dedicated to the weapons deployment in Germany in the 50s. These being run by ex-cannoneers,

with their own remeniscences of how difficult it was to redeploy from one area to another, on the narrow winding roads of Europe.

View attachment 81226

View attachment 81227

at0mcan3.jpg

at0mcan4.jpg

P

Polux

Interesting choice Gregg. :eek:

You have my attention :P

Polux

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Yep, all my tank bits where outside earlier this week with a coat of red oxide. Looking good Gregg.

Si:smiling3:

J

John Huggins

Looking good Gregg, love the big guns myself so i'll be watching.

John

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
And the challenge begins.If the grating you are after is square mesh, the pound shop can probably come up with a set of sieves/tea strainers that can be cut up for that.

Ian M[/qu

\ said:
Thanks for that Ian, popping into my local pound shop today. Luckily open all weekend here.Will let you know what I find.

Gregg
Didn't find anything suitable in poundland or poundstretcher,

However found this supplier with various meshes etc., as well as many other items that could be helpful to our hobby.

www,eileensemporium.com

Well worth a look.

Gregg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:

Ian M
Or you can still buy the tea strainer and turn it on it's corner :rolleyes: :D

First Name
Gregg
Didn't find anything suitable in poundland or poundstretcher,

However found this supplier with various meshes etc., as well as many other items that could be helpful to our hobby.

www,eileensemporium.com

Well worth a look.

First Name
Gregg
Just been into my local car spares retailer for some oil, and low and behold 'CAR-PLAN' aluminium mesh for car body repairs.

Considering I have used this item many times in the past, I now realise my Alzheimer's has really kicked in. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

First Name
Gregg
View attachment 86580

View attachment 86581

View attachment 86582

View attachment 86583

View attachment 86584

View attachment 86585

View attachment 86587

Made little headway recently, maybe get more done when the nights start closing in.
The age of the kit is definitely showing, (1957) as much manipulation/cutting/filing is necessary to make some the parts to fit correctly.

I wish I hadn't primed before starting the assembly, as I have found it necessary to scrape off some of this on many parts, just to get them to fit.

Because of all the sinkage, injection marks etc going to build OOTB as I would as a child.

It's amazing how your childhood memory of this 'Awesome Model', diminishes with age and experience.

DSCF2333.JPG

DSCF2335.JPG

DSCF2337.JPG

DSCF2338.JPG

DSCF2339.JPG

DSCF2342.JPG

DSCF2343.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
S

steve scan

Really admire the perseverance you are demonstrating, I would have been closing the bin lid by now! liking this a lot.

T

treyzx10r

Wow Gregg you're hammering this pig of a kit into shape for sure,the figure in the first pic would fit more in a modern day Zombie flik for sure!