BarryW's Hawker Typhoon Airfix 1:24

L

Laurie

Very nice build Barry. I think that I may have toned the white down a slither. Against the superb effects of washes etc it just stand out, for me the white that is, pristine.

Those are of course my thoughts. Not always agreed by others.

The camouflage with that almost see thro effect are very high quality.

Just shows there is a tremendous difference between a 1/48 and these larger scale models.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The white was toned down a little Laurie and then under the wash was taken down a little further. On the pics it does look a little brighter than on the model, possibly next to the black, as a contrast (black was toned down and had a wash also...) Nevertheless I do look at it critically and still debate whether it should have been toned down a little more..... It certainly is not pristine 'in the plastic' so to speak.

Many thanks everyone for your comments. This model sits in pride of place in my man-cave and I am thinking about putting it on display in my office when I move home.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Barry I think the problem is that the photos were taken using flash in a dark room so the white has been exaggerated and looks very bright. I was going to asks if you had taken any more photos as I don't think that they do your build justice.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Vaughan

My photography simply sucks!

All I use is an iPhone.

When I move home and sort out my new set-up, I will look at how I can improve my pics, getting some kind of background or whatever. maybe a decent camera....

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I also take all mine with my Iphone but I know how difficult it can be. I invested in two sheet of white A1 artist board as a back ground but I also tweak the images in a really basic photo editor which came with my Mac which does seem to help. Also I think the sheer size of the model doesn't help. As a rule of thumb I always take the photos in day light with the help of my modelling lights. Hope this helps with future photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Laurie

Probably Barry as Vaughan suggest the iPhone pictures give a poor representation.

Recently I obtained some stiff card. Mid grey, mid fawn and mid muted olive green. Depending on the subject I use a cloud to suit. I chose these colors to ensure I do no have a stark contrast. I arranged these in a curve from front to back against th wall giving a seamless background. Not at home otherwise I would have published a picture.

I also bought two table top white light LEDs. These are set on a table top tripod. They are normally used for advertising photos of small objects. Cost about £35 of the two. Give a good natural light against the muted background card.

Laurie