Base board.

A

Awins

Never done a diorama before but eager to build one.
Daft question, but what do you use as a base board in order to construct the scene on?
Cheers Alan

First Name
colin
Hi Alan its been a while since I built a diorama.
Id use foamboard fastened to some thin plywood sheet just to give it some strength

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I use 6mm MDF with a layer of polystyrene so I can create uneven surfaces. I only build up to about 600mm (2ft) square though, so you might need something thicker if you're going for a big base.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I haven't made a diorama in years, but I do make war games scenery.

It will depend on size and how much variability you want in levels.

For small pieces, I use 2mm hardboard, for larger I use 6mm MDF or even thicker.

I would seal it with a wood varnish or watered down PVA to prevent warping.

The either modelling clay, filler etc if fairly flat or various thicknesses of foam (pink or blue insulation stuff, can't recall the name.

If you have access to some you can also use the thin (2-5mm) hard plastic sheets that are used for signs. Some people swear by it if you can pick up old signs free.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
for me Alan,I go to the hardware,and get off cuts of MDF,10mm for a few dollars,;)

D

dubster72

Picture frames work very well, especially the box frame style. I get mine from Wilkos at £5 (12x10")

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
for me Alan,I go to the hardware,and get off cuts of MDF,10mm for a few dollars,;)

My local DIY shop does me a good deal on 8ft x 4ft sheets. He also cuts them for me so I end up with 4 pieces 2ft x 2ft; 4 pieces 2ft x 1ft 6inch and 4 pieces 1ft x 1ft. Last time it cost me about £10.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Picture frames work very well, especially the box frame style. I get mine from Wilkos at £5 (12x10")
I use the picture frames as bases for aircraft parking stands. You can make your own tarmac, concrete etc surfaces or use downloadable files to print what you like and stick them down.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
My local DIY shop does me a good deal on 8ft x 4ft sheets. He also cuts them for me so I end up with 4 pieces 2ft x 2ft; 4 pieces 2ft x 1ft 6inch and 4 pieces 1ft x 1ft. Last time it cost me about £10.
that,s real good deal,Gern,so very nice when they look after you like that,my local shop is good as well,I get a 10 to 15% discount as well, on drill,s glues / silicone and so on,;)

J

John Rixon

If you use mdf, seal both sides. If you just do the working surface, it'll warp. Ply is better for stability, but harder to clean the edges if it's been hand sawn!

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I took the easy option of using picture frames ( cheap and cheerful in most £ shops, then I used a layer of modelling putty from Hobbycraft ( cheap and ready to mould just remember to keep moist if storing and then old bits of polystyrene for depth of area. Thin layer of putty over and a genourous thinned coat of PVA and let set before painting.
I've never gone any bigger but still have a big build so I may go down the route of mdf ( later much later

Regards

Robert