Bedford QL portee with 6 pounder.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Found this looking lonely on the shop shelf a while ago and thought it would look good in my "Desert" collection.

Its Italeri in 1/35. I actually found a paint colour I can live with vallejo's Iraqui sand.

Mucked it up with a couple of oilpaint washes. Black for general grime and burnt sienna for the rust. Yes rust on a desert truck. But good enough. Its bloody cold and frost is not uncommom at night. Nooks and crannies hold the moisture and in theory at least you could get rust!!! (and I'm sticking to that excuse!!!)

Here you go:

View attachment 21083View attachment 21084View attachment 21085View attachment 21087View attachment 21086

All I need to do is find the decals for the markings. Had them yesterday!!!!

Ian M

View attachment 28081

View attachment 28082

View attachment 28083

View attachment 28084

View attachment 28085

09112010811.jpg

09112010814.jpg

09112010813.jpg

09112010812.jpg

09112010815.jpg

K

kellysands

Well poke me with a sharp stick! That looks nice, your desire to 'rescue' a lonely model from the shop is to be applauded of course and I'm sure anyone else would do the same.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That looks great Ian and you're absolutely right about rust in the desert - over night moisture in the air does condense on to cold metallic surfaces and with the salts from the sand and in the air this will very quickly form rust.

Cheers

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top work ian , excellent weathering ,the dustiness of a desert vehicle is perfectly captured. Tell me are you thinking of putting a canvas tilt on it? cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks chaps! Means a lot to me.

Tony: Had not actually thought of a tilt, but was contemplating a camo net. One problem, how big whole the net be in 1/35 scale 5mm?

Ian M

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I'm liking this Ian, nice to see something with wheels instead of tracks. Top work on the weathering, five stars mate.

Have fun, John

P

ping-pong

Great model. love the weathered/used look. proper chunk of a model.

:smiling3:

Si

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That looks really good. It's nice to see these 'rescue' kits going to good homes where they are properly appreciated!

Gern

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I've just realised that i have this kit at the bottom of the stash, it's now at the top. Going to give it a go some time, did you get the base for the six pounder Ian? I was thinking of just building that up with a crew and have it on the dio, then build the QL and scratch build something for the back. Two models for the price of one.

Have fun, John

N

noble

Hi Ian i've just found this and wow mate i like it, the weathering and the paint work is spot on so iam giving you the big five nice one.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Wow a blast from the past! Thanks for the comments chaps.

@John, Yes there was a base for the 6lb'er I just chose to load it on the truck, hit and run style. You will be in for a pleasant surprise. I found the 6pounder in this kit to be better than the one from Tamiya that I had built the week before I did this one. The truck was a nice clean and detailed kit as well. Enough to make me think of buying another one and building it as an Ammo truck with a full tilt.....Hmmmm.

Ian M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Great paint job, and a nicely built kit. Well rescued.

Tony.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
that looks quality ian love the mute colour it looks battle worn not been picky could you get more light on the subject i want to see more

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
All of the abouve! I love the oddballs!

S

steve scan

Very, very nice Ian, I too am impressed with your charitable behaviour and will have to try it out on SWMBO. :smiling3: