Beowulf's Gaz-66, 1/35, Eastern Express

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
things have slowed a bit on the GMC so thought id make a start on the truck i want to do for the Military Lorry GB

GAZ-66 by Eastern Express in 1/35, kit was new tool sometime in the 1990s, and it seems even Revell borrowed the moulds and punted it out in the early 2000s so it cant be that bad

had this in the stash for a while, cant remember where i got it or how much i paid for it, got another with a ZU23 AAA gun in the back

plan is to do it out of the box, as for cargo im going to have a go at scratching something

the instructions are dire!......printed on cheap paper and stapled at one corner, in russian and english, no paint call outs or where he decals go!!.....will need to do some research lol

2ensxsh.jpg

akg6fs.jpg

1fe8sk.jpg

14tsuqa.jpg

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Paul, I have the exact same kit - doesn't look too bad although I haven't actually tried assembling it yet.
Not quite up to the quality of the Trumpeter version with ZSU23-2 that I also have lurking in the stash

WWP have their GAZ66 book at the ridiculously cheap price of £4 GAZ66

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
I have only built one Eastern Express kit and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I shall watch this build with interest.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Thanks for the kit shots. Looks like a great model to do. Good luck

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
so ive had a go at making some wooden crates to go in the back

atn2d.jpg

this is what one would look like in the truck bed

2hdci9l.jpg

next step is to stain them, see which one comes out the best

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
A few questions I would be really keen to know the answer to, if you do not mind (I have often been eyeing Eastern Express kits, but have yet to buy one):

Was there any flash on the kit parts?

Are there many mold lines (comparing to Dragon), and are they in destructive places?

Kind regards!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A few questions I would be really keen to know the answer to, if you do not mind

no worries

no flash what so ever, not even a tiny bit, and ive not found any significant mould lines

however dont go comparing this to dragon...........dragons instructions leave a lot to be desired but this kit has absolutly the worst instructions i have ever had to use, and the kit isnt the best either but it going together slowly, next bit is trying to get the cab together

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Thanks!

When you say the kit is not the best, why is that? Fit issues? Detail level?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
I like those wooden cases. Did you make them from balsa wood or did you use a harder wood such as coffee stirrers? I ask because when I have tried using balsa the surface always goes furry and rough when I stain it.
Thanks
Jim

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks!

When you say the kit is not the best, why is that? Fit issues? Detail level?

Strange brittle plastic.....some parts seem quite delicate.....hard to get parts off the sprue cleanly....vague instructions.....no layout for decals or what options

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul
I like those wooden cases. Did you make them from balsa wood or did you use a harder wood such as coffee stirrers? I ask because when I have tried using balsa the surface always goes furry and rough when I stain it.
Thanks
Jim

Pure balsa.....picked a mixed pack of sizes from Boyes....mine havnt gone furry....must be the stain you used..causes the fibres to expand and make the 'furriness' lol

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Paul
I may well have used a far too watery stain. I'll have another go as yours looks good.
Jim

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Strange brittle plastic.....some parts seem quite delicate.....hard to get parts off the sprue cleanly....vague instructions.....no layout for decals or what options
Thanks! I think I will follow the build, and see how you do, if you do not mind.

Cheers!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Paul
I may well have used a far too watery stain. I'll have another go as yours looks good.
Jim

it did!......ive found that cos i used proper balsa glue its sort of reacted where ever the stain has touched it and turned an orangey shade

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
since ive been asked how i made the crates heres a quick tutorial

its made of balsa, cant tell you thicknesses cos i got it in a mixed bundle from a craft shop but the edges are half the thickness of the sides

dont use pva glue as it makes the balsa curl and deform......i used UHU Hart glue which what was recommended when i bought a balsa plane (which i havnt built lol)....but it has problems since it must be 'waterproof' as it repels wood stain or acrylic paint....found it takes about 30 mins to set

first i cut sides and top/bottom...try and make them as square as possible.....this is going to be @35mm x 40mm x 60mm

5e6esl.jpg

glue the blocks onto the sides.......get them to the edge cos they are whats going to keep top/bottom square

2ymb0w7.jpg

add the top/bottom bits

note i didnt cut any ends,,,need measure the ends now the 'box' is together...try and get it pretty close but its dosnt have to be perfect cos the edging will cover any gaps

2ldcf13.jpg

i used the thin balsa to cut some 4mm wide strips to make the edging

again leave the ends til last......trim to flush once stuck secure

sfgp3c.jpg

2j2fbee.jpg

when the end edging is added it should hide any gaps and make things neat

2m3ry1u.jpg

ive looked at modern crates and they seem to have reinforcement bits that run edge to edge, not corner to corner but i think corner to corner looks better

21431wk.jpg

ive used proper wood stain on the first ones and it worked ok apart from where it touched any glue that had seeped out....went an orangey shade.....this one im going to try painting with some matt enamel just to see what happens

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nothing amiss with the crate Paul.

Thanks Paul
Jim
Jim ........ If I may join in Paul, although balsa in a very light wood and very absorbent you might find that by giving it a wipe with a damp cloth and allowing the grain to rise and then dry, you can then sand and then try a water based paint /stain again. This is a common practice in finishing shops. Though I don't know how successful it might be with balsa, but worth a try.:smiling:
John.