Best Hurricane kit?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Eduard 1/72 and 1/48 kits have good reviews and if you're interested there is a reasonable amount of after market stuff available.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Second vote on Itaeri kit, but if the Airfix one had been around when I built mine I would have bought that based on the very positive reviews it got on release....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
In 1/48 the Airfix Hurricane is a nice, well fitting build - I did it earlier this year, my first Airfix model for a long time! It's also cheaper than the other offerings!
Dave

D

Dave S4

Revell's MkIIC 1/72 scale is cheap & very good quality for the price charged.
Airfix's new tooled 1/72 MkI looks very good, too - although I haven't built it yet.

First Name
Dave
I have done a scout round for the 1/48 Airfix mk1 but it seems to have been discontinued I am looking to build BOB version.

Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Kingkit have a pre-owned one for sale at the moment. Can’t find one anywhere else though.....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I rated the Italeri 1/48 one pretty highly when I did it a few years ago. Decals in particular were excellent.....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Strange thing, Airfix seems to only produce some models for comparatively short periods - I don't know whether it's since they moved production to India, but you have to be pretty quick off the mark in buying the model you want. You try buying an Airfix 1/48 Sea Vixen, or Javelin............... you can get them, but at silly ( to me ) prices!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I wonder if the moulds are relatively short lived these days? Could also be a marketing ploy designed to maximise demand? Produce a run around the size the market will stand, then withdraw the model while they sell out and wait for the demand to build up again before relaunching, perhaps with different decals.....Ready to run Railway stuff is similar. Short runs then later another run with a different livery.

Last edited:
First Name
Dave
I agree these things only seem available when I have no money.
I've never built a Hurricane but as my grandfather was ground crew with the BEF in France I thought I would build one I would like to build a polish squadron aircraft if I can find the decals.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The Italeri one comes with decals for Pilot Officer Witold Urbanowizc, it was the one I built......

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I have built the 1/48 Italeri kit and to be honest my experience of the kit differs from the others. I don't know if i got a duff kit but i had fit issues and a bit of flash. On the other hand the transparencies and decals were fantastic.

First Name
Dave
I have built the 1/48 Italeri kit and to be honest my experience of the kit differs from the others. I don't know if i got a duff kit but i had fit issues and a bit of flash. On the other hand the transparencies and decals were fantastic.
Did you use all the decals?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
It may be limited life moulds - can't see it being a marketing ploy - another model that made a brief appearance, in 1/72 was the Vickers Valiant ( 2011), that doesn't seem to available at all, even ebay!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
another model that made a brief appearance, in 1/72 was the Vickers Valiant ( 2011), that doesn't seem to available at all, even ebay!
This site doesn’t mark it as being out of stock, which might mean they still have one.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks Jakko,
I've gone off the idea of the Valiant - my original intention was to make the Valiant, Victor & Vulcan - all in the white anti-flash finish, but then reality kicked in. Just the space needed to display them, not to mention the cost, put me off...................
Dave