Best primer for resin?

First Name
Adrian
I'm working on a few resin kits I imported from the US and having issues with the primer coming off.
I've washed the resin and used a fine grade paper to prepare them but when I remove the masking it also pulls off the primer.
I normally use Halfords primers with no issues, even on a previous resin kit I had no issues.
So I'm looking for any advice you can give me.
Thanks
Addrian

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Is it halfords primer thats coming off adrian ? If so what did you clean the resin with ,water or ipa ? Maybe its the release agent that's stopping the paint sticking , perhaps ipa will clean it better than soapy water ? . I always use halfords primer and never had a problem but then again ive never used it on a resin kit either. Cheers tony

First Name
Adrian
Is it halfords primer thats coming off adrian ? If so what did you clean the resin with ,water or ipa ? Maybe its the release agent that's stopping the paint sticking , perhaps ipa will clean it better than soapy water ? . I always use halfords primer and never had a problem but then again ive never used it on a resin kit either. Cheers tony

I did use soap and water first then rubbed them down and then used IPA all over, but it still comes away with the masking tape even when I de-tact it.

J

Jens Andrée

I don't know exactly for resin but I've used Duracoat on rifle parts in the past and that thing is super thin and bonds to anything - and good luck trying to make it come off!
It should work great as a primer for things that resists normal paint?! You can buy small jars that doesn't cost much and you can use your airbrush.
It has to cure under heat for an hour, but only +40C° so your resin is fine.

Could be a last resort solution perhaps?