BIG Bocage Tiger

S

Sky Raider

Outstanding workmanship. Will be a centre peice when completed im sure.

Cheers

Andy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Here's a small update on my Tiger 1

Completed the Jack Block and retaining strap, the c hook clamps and primed the upper deck.

The only thing to construct now is the fire extinguisher which will receive the usual detail treatment.

Here's some pics of the completed bits. You may notice that the jack block is now deeper, this is because I reconstructed it feeling the previous one wasn't thick enough. Extensive testing with the turret mechanism was necessary to make sure the turret traverse doesn't catch anything. Overall I'm quite pleased and I feel I'm now on the home straight.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks trey, your support is much appreciated. Hopefully I'm going to have a completed RC Tiger to show in the next few weeks!

Cheers

Paul

D

dubster72

Love the detail Paul & the fatter block does look right. Are you planning to add headlight cable?

Cheers

Patrick

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Patrick

Yes, the cable will be added but because the deck needs to be removable I need to think how best to do this. It may be that I simply glue the deck down and recharge batteries through the turret ring. But if anything goes wrong then that's it for the RC, or I have one end of the cable friction fitted to the Bosch headlight.

The previous block was slimmer because, in it's former position on the deck, the turret traverse hit it! In the end I moved it a little and remade the block.

Cheers Ian, am glad you like the progress. Hopefully this big cat is going to be finished soon. A tad late for the original GB, but it will get there in the end.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking amazing paul! The tools are unbelievable, totally real looking , superb work. keep at it mate its going to be a winner, cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi folks

Don't know if anyone still remembers this build (as it was started over 2 years ago!) but I have an update of sorts.

The build is in fact now finished and the tank finally has some paint on it. But, and there's a big BUT, it seems that all this time I've been researching the wrong tank!

Anyone who was here for the start of this thread may well remember that I began with the intention of building Michael Wittman's Villers machine, which I stated at the time was vehicle 222. Well, current thinking now would suggest that Wittman used (most likely) one of 2 other vehicles (222 being ruled out). These are 212 and 231.

Tiger 212 people may recognise from Dragon's box art from their release some years back. Indeed I did think it strange at the time as I had this model and was convinced it was wrong. Turns out that the tank number is right but the style of numbers depicted is wrong.

The other option is Tiger 231 which can be seen being towed by another Tiger (now identified as 222 in almost pristine condition and can be concluded that it did not take part in the battle).

Now to the slight problems I have to overcome.

231 has a different roof and style of loaders hatch style. It may also have the larger muzzle brake.

212 has a monocular gun sight.

Both have different styles of unit insignia which will require yet more surgery to the zimmerit.

I think the option I'm going to plump for is 212. I can plug one of the holes for the gun sight and repair the zimm, then cut the squares for the incised unit insignia in the zimm on the hull front and rear.

Seems a lot of work when the tank is basically camouflaged now but I do want to get this as right as I can.

Here's how she looks at the mo. This isn't a very good picture, taken as it was in normal room lighting but you get the overall idea. Even prior to this new found knowledge I was going to respray it as I felt the spray pattern was too neat and does not follow photographs closely enough. This time round I'm going to try and make it as authentic as I can.

I won't bore anyone with build details, suffice to say that the fire extinguisher was the final super detailing project.

I hope this is still of interest if only for the Villers Bocage info!

Cheers

Paul

S

Sky Raider

Looks fantastic, brings back memories of when i did my tiger on here.

Andy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Andy, I remember your Tiger build.

These days i don't get on to to the forum as often as I would like. Fact is, I don't really get much time to model anymore but I'm hoping to have this RC tiger up and running for the summer (looking as near as I can possibly get it to Tiger 212, Schwer SS Panzer Abteilung, Villers Bocage, 13 June 1944).

i'm going to rub back the present paint finish this weekend and start the whole process of preshading and layering the dark yellow again. If I'm lucky I may be able to get the tank camouflaged again but I think that's probably a stretch..

Do you still have your RC Tiger Andy?

Cheers P

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Cheers Andy, I remember your Tiger build.These days i don't get on to to the forum as often as I would like. Fact is, I don't really get much time to model anymore but I'm hoping to have this RC tiger up and running for the summer (looking as near as I can possibly get it to Tiger 212, Schwer SS Panzer Abteilung, Villers Bocage, 13 June 1944).

i'm going to rub back the present paint finish this weekend and start the whole process of preshading and layering the dark yellow again. If I'm lucky I may be able to get the tank camouflaged again but I think that's probably a stretch..

Do you still have your RC Tiger Andy?

Cheers P
Shame you got to go through that again Paul. I do still have my Tiger but it is in the model shop window for sale at the moment, i still have the Forces of Valour sherman to that cost me an arm and a leg, i would like to sell that also later on.

Cheers

Andy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Do you have a model or do you mean the site shop?

I'd be interested in 1/16 Tamiya models at the right price.

Cheers Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Finally finished this beast, hoorah!

Going to put the final pics in the Group build finished folder, hope you like them...

Cheers

P