Billings "Bluenose 11" 600

B

boating junkie

Have been building all sorts of models on and off over time both as a youngster, and as my own family has grown up. Recently helped grandson with balsa and tissue plane, which re-ignited the bug again (mixed metaphors!). So thought I'd have a go at a wooden boat kit, and have taken the plunge with Billings smaller version of "Bluenose".

For me, by reputation 2 things stand out for Billings - kits are generally good quality, instructions/guides diametrically opposite! And I think Bluenose looks gorgeous!!

Have gone through box contents, "building guide", rigging guide, sail plan, in order to get mind around it all, and be aware of any quirks, assembly sequences, need for pre-painting and so on. Feel as though ready to start (it is a background project, and when sailing season starts, will get further into background), but there is one thing I would like some input for, please.

The decking is illustrated as planked; in my box of bits, the decking is plain un-printed ply approx 1mm thick. The rigging guide shows an illustration, but I've nothing more to go on, and especially true locations when it comes to fitting the various bits of deck gear. Trawling the web, it seems some may have planked, others "drawn" the caulking lines. What is the accepted way? Do I plank? is there sufficient material? in planking, the deck height is raised, but won't that impact other parts of the build?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
so what does it look like?....im intrigued so would love to see a pic

B

boating junkie

Couple of pics (hopefully!) attached :

"Deck Panels" is what's in the box; they're completely plain, with no markings except laser-cut outlines.

"Instructions" shows what the instructions contain; implication is either draw in own caulking (hence the pencil), or, looking at the detail, that the caulk lines and outlines are pre-printed on to the deck panels, which in turn implies a flaw in my kit.

The "Rigging Plan" could be used to plot on to the deck panels placeholders/outlines for all the equipment/wheelhouses etc. which would then make drawing caulk lines a bit more straightforward.

As said in previous post, "Trawling the web, it seems some may have planked (ie, on top of the decking panels), others "drawn" the caulking lines. What is the accepted way? Do I plank? is there sufficient material? in planking, the deck height is raised, but won't that impact other parts of the build?

I want to make a reasonable job of course, but don't want to go overboard!

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

View attachment 101329

View attachment 101330

View attachment 101331

Deck panels.jpg

Instructions.jpg

Rigging Plan.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
To plank or not to plank that is the question!

Really it is down to you. Both can look as good, so it's a question of time.

You can give the wood for the decks a light varnish and rub down then draw the caulking with a black pen. A fine biro is good.

A more high tech way: do you have access to a laser printer? A drawing program on th PC?

You could draw up the planks caulking on the PC and print it on the laser printer. Best quality print.

Place it print side down on the wood and the iron it with a warm iron. Ta-da the print is transferred to the wood.

A coat of clear varnish and your done.

If you want to plank it proper you can use black paper between the planks or mix some black paint in with the wood glue. That can though be rather messy!

Ian M

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Thanks - your trawler looks awesome - something to aspire to!
It's not hard, and doesn't take long. I think if you don't plank you will forever regret it. It really sets off a sailing ship. Derek

B

boating junkie

\ said:
To plank or not to plank that is the question!
Really it is down to you. Both can look as good, so it's a question of time.

You can give the wood for the decks a light varnish and rub down then draw the caulking with a black pen. A fine biro is good.

A more high tech way: do you have access to a laser printer? A drawing program on th PC?

You could draw up the planks caulking on the PC and print it on the laser printer. Best quality print.

Place it print side down on the wood and the iron it with a warm iron. Ta-da the print is transferred to the wood.

A coat of clear varnish and your done.

If you want to plank it proper you can use black paper between the planks or mix some black paint in with the wood glue. That can though be rather messy!

Ian M
Now there's a couple of interesting "convergent technology" ideas - things like scanning, t-shirt printing etc spring to mind too.