Billings Bluenose 2

P

Puddleduck

Hi. I've just got this Billings kit as a present and still trying to workout the instructions. When looking through the web some of these kits seem to have printed caulking lines on the deck, but mine are completely bare. What is the best way of getting the lines on the deck? It seems the instructions on the whole model are some what vague! So when planking is it best to start at the deck or the keel?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Deck lines can be recreated using either a thin artists pen or a sharp pencil, once varnished and sealed they will not rub off.

When I did my plank on frame once the keel and ribs were in place I started from the bottom up, glueing and pinning as I went.

Si:smiling3:

P

Puddleduck

Thanks Si. How did you transfer the lines from the plan to the wood?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
If your plan and wood parts are the same scale then you just measure the centre line and transfer that to your deck, from there you measure the rest of the planking and transfer that.

I also just wanted to add that on the Bluenose it maybe better to start the plank framing from the top, this seems to be the way that folk do it for this model.

P

Puddleduck

Hi all,

Back again with another question. Just about ready to start planking the hull. I've put the first plank on, without tapering and aligned it to the top of the bulkhead stanchions. The question is what's the best method to taper the planks, I was considering putting another whole plank approx half way down hull, using a multiple of the plank width. Then fill in the gap by tapering each plank? Does this sound right, as there are no instructions in the kit on planking method. Finally since this hull is built in two halves do he planks cover the slip frame at the bow or just finish at the slip, not sure I've explained it well.

Regards

Puddleduck

G

Graham D

There are 2 planking tutorials that might help

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/14-building-framing-planking-and-plating-a-ships-hull-and-deck/

I have used them and are very useful