British Apache 1/48

• Thread starter Deleted member 5496
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5496

An Apache on duty in action Afghanistan.

Hasagawa 1/48. a real joy to build.

Helicopters have so much going on. They also, because of that, are a test and extend your expertise in model making.

Stewart

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Got to love the Apache  :x  and you my man have nailed it!!!

Lee :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic job Stewart, the paintwork is weathered /faded beautifully , cheers tony

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great build. I have just started my first helicopter. A sea king. I thought I would have a change from military planes. Enjoying the change so far.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Lovely work Stewart. Love that top secret IT comms system :smiling3:   How did you fade and weather the paint work? Pastels, airbrush with lighter colours? It really does look awesome.

D

Deleted member 5496

Lovely work Stewart. Love that top secret IT comms system :smiling3:   How did you fade and weather the paint work? Pastels, airbrush with lighter colours? It really does look awesome.

Apologies Joe I have been away for a few days to visit my youngest son. Good excuse.

For fading modulation etc I use Lifecolor as that suits my purpose better than Vallejo which I use for general paint finishes.

I use a .2  Iwata. A PSI for air at 8 to 10 which allows more time to "aim" paint and at lesser amounts ie I have more control.

The base finishing coat of Vallejo I leave as matt. I find that the edges of the fading or modulation soften compared with a gloss varnish. Despite being matt providing you are quick you can clean up where things have gone wrong.

The Lifecolor I use 50%/50% Lifecolor and Vallejo Flow Improver. This has two advantages. Less likely for any clogging which I rarely get. Plus with a very thin paint film I can build up slowly which gives a nice feather mingling edge. I do work quite close to the model.

I use two or three different but close colours mixed at times with white which is great for just subtle changing the hue. I put these over each other to get the effect. Have to admit there is no exact scientific thinking here i just carry on by eye until I think it OK. Also admit every model I have to try and think what I did before. Darned frustrating but it comes back..

Stewart

IT system. Just like a bit of humor it makes the world a happier place.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks Stewart, it has produced a rather effective finish on your Apache